Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-210 Vari-Shift Transmission Question

Ketchamized

I have been slowly accquiring parts for my AC B-210, with the help of guys here.. (Thank you so much guys) And, I have almost all the parts I need. The only parts I need left would be the parts that are labelled in the below picture: AM, AN, AP [img]/club2/attach/ketchamized/transmission.jpg[/img] The parts are the spacers that goes inside the front pulley for the Vari-shift. (AM and AP are the spacers, AN is a stopper) I've had no luck in locating those parts. Would anyone know if I can purchase the spacers and the stopper washer at a hardware store? If it is possible, would anyone know the dimensions of these spacers and the washer? It would be a very valuable piece of information for me. Thanks again guys...

Greg, Thank you so much for the suggestion. I finally found the parts online, but wow... Nearly gave me a heart attack. $35.00 just for one spacer. So, that's $70 to $75 for two of the spacers. Stop washer was only 80 cents. Is there anywhere else where I can get these parts for a reasonable price? (As in under $30 for everything?) If not, it looks like I'll have to dish out the money. My wife wouldn't be happy, for certain.

Erick, Those parts function as more than a spacer. The movable part of the vari-drive pulley slides on them. They are made from a special hardened steel. That's the cause of the big price. The gang at Sandy Lake Imp. told me that local tool and die makers have tried to duplicate them without much success. Good Luck, Jim

JimDk, I didn't realize that the metal was a special hardened steel. In my manual, it states "Teflon coated" for the spacers. I'll bet the teflon coating is what cuts down on the wear.

That could be true. Any that I have had apart had long ago lost the teflon and part of the metal. That may explain why the local machinists had no luck duplicating them.

I wonder if that could be pointed out to the local machinists? Perhaps with that knowledge, they can coat it with Teflon? I wonder about high carbon steel. Check this out: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2001-08/ine-iss080701.php http://www.erasteel.com/us/applications/wear_parts.php I may have a possible source for used spacers, waiting to hear from him... If he doesn't have it, it looks like next month, I'll have to dish out the bucks for the NOS parts. I found a website that sells them (both of them, as well as the washer): http://www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp

I wouldn't worry too much about the teflon coating. It's there only as a dry lubricant. There are no requirements for lubricating the sliding surfaces in the owners manual. Oils and greases would contaminate the belt and pulleys. I had some made years ago for the rear pulley to tried and reduce the clearance between the pulley and the spacer to get rid of some of the rocking play of the rear pulley. It worked ok, but since the ends of the pulley bore had become enlarged over the years, I still had some rocking of the pulley. I really need to have the pulley ID bored out and then have some oversized spacers machined to fit the new pulley ID. I found the old sketch and from the notes that machine shop made it looks like they used 4152 steel.

Stevenj, Hmm, I do wonder if the teflon coating is simply a replacement for lubrication? On my tractor, I have the rear spacers intact, but the front spacers are missing. Does it have that same rocking play on the front spacers? I got my tractor with a jerry-rigged transmission, so I have been unable to see the vari-shift in action- I have been gathering parts for it, and the spacers are all that I need to accquire, and then it's all complete. But, I did purchase some parts off ebay, purchased a front pulley that I needed, shifter, idle pulley, and an extra rear pulley. I noticed that the metal hole where the 3 prongs goes in- was worn. Seems to me that it's some kind of a design flaw? Most people here praise the vari-shift... I'm not too sure, but I'm thinking about maybe putting on a high/low system instead. Will see how the vari-shift works out first. The parts I have are kind of worn... Also depends on what my source is able to provide in terms of parts. Would you know the exact dimensions of the front pulley spacers and washer?