Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Stearing problem with model 312

I have a '71 or'72 (not sure) Allis-Chalmers model 312 lawn tractor. The stearing is loose. The play is coming from the stearing box. Can you tighten the stearing with that large screw on the bottom of the stearing box?It's held from being tund by a cotter key.

StanD
Tryed to reply directly to you, is your e-mail address correct? Steering box should come off and cleaned and repacked. Think you will find a worn tapered pin that runs in the worm gear, it wears flat. I took it out and reground and polished it. Shortens a bit but still long enough for jam nut. Also bearings in box I believe have a plastic cage. Mine were shot. Also front bushings on axle wear and that gives more free play. Jack up front and push axle forward and back and rock axle also, mine was well worn, made my own. Steering wheel has to come off to get steering box and shaft down and out bottom. Everything is a tight fit to get in and out, no cake walk. Have parts book with pictures and numbers but your e-mail was unknown, will send to you if you reply directly to me. Hope this helps you.

Al
Hi, Well said. I believe Cub cadet and John Deere use this steering gear also and you can maybe get the piece from one them. I don,t remember which I got it from. You probably will never get it totally back to like new, because the worm will be worn in the center more than the ends and if you adjust it snug in the center it will bind on the ends. You just have to compromise there. Set the end play with the adjustment on the bottom first then the pawl engagement. Good luck and as stated above clean er out first. Al