Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" Deck restoration

Simpleton7016

Thanks for the kind words. I just hope that my maiden voyage with this new deck goes better than it did with the revitalizer. I spent the whole winter restoring a revitalizer and took it out for a proverbial spin in the spring. Within an hour, I threw the chain and completely screwed up the sheetmetal and paintjob! Turns out that I bolted the bearings on incorrectly! Doh! [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Revitalizerbeforestraighton.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Revitalizerafterstraighton.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/revitalizerdamage.jpg[/img]

I recently rebuilt a 36" deck for my B-208. I had the manual with the parts diagram, but having another deck to look at was invaluable! I agree with you though, I now know that deck inside and out. Great learning experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally done and tested. Got the deck "dialed in" for my yard and decided to tighten all the bolts down. Just seems to be more upside than just having the ability to "adjust on the fly". Like someone said, if I were mowing multiple lawns it would be one thing, but not for just my own yard. Anyway, nearly six months of work. Every part derusted, rust converter applied, painted, all new hardware, antiseize on everything, rebuilt arbors with new bearings, new belts, gatorblades, and no non-factory modifications (thanks Maynard). It purse like a kitten and the lawn looks great. I am still a bit disappointed with the amount of "blow out" but if I ever find that metal deck adapter, my problems should be solved. A thanks to everyone who assisted in the project from tips on pulling pulleys, to anti-seize advice to arbor rebuilding (especially the hands on help from Bob). Feels great to be done. The only thing I have concerns about are those darn 14 screws that hold the deck covers on. I put bigger screws in there and put nuts and washers on the bottom side. If somethin does go wrong in there, what a pain it will be to pull those things off. I can almost guarantee that the first time I have to pull those off will be the last!! I know a lot of you already do that...and I know why!! Jack C, if you are still lurking, this is your old deck. And your 912 is in the background of one of the pictures....thanks.