Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
callwill

Belt help

callwill
A 4L28 is way too loose, I cant get a 4L27 on the pulleys. The 4L comes right out to the pulley's edge, but doesn't seem to fit the inside correctly. I tried a 3L27 & it is almost the correct length & gets nearly tight enough when the PTO is engaged, but sets deep into both pulleys. Is there something in between these sizes that i should look for or do i need to upsize the pulley on the BGBox so a 4L28 will work?

HubbardRA
Try using a larger idler on the PTO engagement. I did this on one of my tractors so that I could buy off-the-shelf belts for the mower, instead of ordering the special Simplicity belts. It has worked for me. Getting the correct Simplicity belt is always the best way to go.

callwill
It is a 3112V but it looks like someone either put a different PTO on it or there may be incorrect size pulleys on the BGB or PTO (thay are the same size) I don't know for sure. It doesn't look like there is room for a larger Idler pulley, current one comes very close to PT0 pulley, but maybe...

gregc
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
The 3100/B-100 series and 3200/B-200 series used different size PTO belts 3100/B-100 series #164146 = 34.1" type HA belt. 3200/B-200 series #157230 = 22.0" type 3/8
Maynard, you picked up the number for the hydraulic lift belt for the 3200/B-200 series tractors. The PTO belt is #157683 = 29.16" A belt.

callwill
i streched the 4l27 on the pulleys and it drives the mower nicely, but it runs w/o engaging the PTO. I do expect it will stretch a little & we will see, but in the mean time can anyone tell me what diameter pulleys should be on the BGB & PTO for this tractor?

callwill
4L27 is doing the job, has streched into the job though it still could stand to be a bit looser...I am sure the pulleys that are on the BGB & PTO are smaller than 5 inch...they are measured full outside diameter aren't they? And renegade...what size is your idler pulley on the 3112v PTO? Update: i measued my pulleys, both are 4 inch Diam(full outside D). The idler is @3.25 D. I'm sre that is my problem. I need the 5 inch pulleys...anyone? Does the vario BGB have a different size shaft for the pulleys than most?

callwill
thanks Al. I figured that from my earliest analysis of the fit problems i was having, but i did need to get the lawn mowed so i went ahead & used the 4L 27 that was too tight & it will work a while longer. I am looking for something close to the correct size pulleys that will allow me to use a 4L belt as i have a good source of std belts close & the neares simp guy is a 40+ mile RT(as opposed to 5). Maybe 5inch pulleys for a 4L will be able to use a 4L 30 or 29, or narrower pulleys for a 3L 29 or 30.

UCD
The correct Simplicity belt should last you a very long time. I have seen these with the original belt still being used 35 years later. Also it will be easier & cheaper than finding and buying the correct size aftermarket pulleys and belts.