Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt help

callwill

A 4L28 is way too loose, I cant get a 4L27 on the pulleys. The 4L comes right out to the pulley's edge, but doesn't seem to fit the inside correctly. I tried a 3L27 & it is almost the correct length & gets nearly tight enough when the PTO is engaged, but sets deep into both pulleys. Is there something in between these sizes that i should look for or do i need to upsize the pulley on the BGBox so a 4L28 will work?

Try using a larger idler on the PTO engagement. I did this on one of my tractors so that I could buy off-the-shelf belts for the mower, instead of ordering the special Simplicity belts. It has worked for me. Getting the correct Simplicity belt is always the best way to go.

It is a 3112V but it looks like someone either put a different PTO on it or there may be incorrect size pulleys on the BGB or PTO (thay are the same size) I don't know for sure. It doesn't look like there is room for a larger Idler pulley, current one comes very close to PT0 pulley, but maybe...

The belt that you should need for your tractor with the correct PTO is Simplicity #164146 = 34.1" HA belt. NAPA Part #4L340W.

The 3100/B-100 series and 3200/B-200 series used different size PTO belts 3100/B-100 series #164146 = 34.1" type HA belt. 3200/B-200 series #157683 = 29.1" type HA belt.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
The 3100/B-100 series and 3200/B-200 series used different size PTO belts 3100/B-100 series #164146 = 34.1" type HA belt. 3200/B-200 series #157230 = 22.0" type 3/8
Maynard, you picked up the number for the hydraulic lift belt for the 3200/B-200 series tractors. The PTO belt is #157683 = 29.16" A belt.

i streched the 4l27 on the pulleys and it drives the mower nicely, but it runs w/o engaging the PTO. I do expect it will stretch a little & we will see, but in the mean time can anyone tell me what diameter pulleys should be on the BGB & PTO for this tractor?

My 3112V has 5 inch pulleys on the PTO and also the BGB. They are the original pulleys that came with the tractor when new.

4L27 is doing the job, has streched into the job though it still could stand to be a bit looser...I am sure the pulleys that are on the BGB & PTO are smaller than 5 inch...they are measured full outside diameter aren't they? And renegade...what size is your idler pulley on the 3112v PTO? Update: i measued my pulleys, both are 4 inch Diam(full outside D). The idler is @3.25 D. I'm sre that is my problem. I need the 5 inch pulleys...anyone? Does the vario BGB have a different size shaft for the pulleys than most?

thanks Al. I figured that from my earliest analysis of the fit problems i was having, but i did need to get the lawn mowed so i went ahead & used the 4L 27 that was too tight & it will work a while longer. I am looking for something close to the correct size pulleys that will allow me to use a 4L belt as i have a good source of std belts close & the neares simp guy is a 40+ mile RT(as opposed to 5). Maybe 5inch pulleys for a 4L will be able to use a 4L 30 or 29, or narrower pulleys for a 3L 29 or 30.

The correct Simplicity belt should last you a very long time. I have seen these with the original belt still being used 35 years later. Also it will be easier & cheaper than finding and buying the correct size aftermarket pulleys and belts.

and that still means replacing my pulleys, finding the correct simp ones & the belt, meanwhile the shop with the std belts can make me up what i need...

Idler pulley on my 3112V is three and a quarter inch OK. That includes the beveled edge. The flat part of the pulley is that the belt rides on is 3 inches.

So now all i need are 5 inch pulleys. Actually as of this afternoon i found two 5inch pulleys in my PTO parts box! I should be good to go with a 4L29 or 30 now.