Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

White Brand Garden Tractors........

LesH
Hopefully this is not off topic, but, does anyone have any info on the White Garden Tractors ?? This one is a White 1855 garden tractor. Looks like it is made well. (not like the ones that MTD makes for White now). Thanks.

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
AFAIK,MTD made all the White garden tractors.
Are you sure about that? Didnt White Aquire Minneapolis Moline way back? I'm thinking there were a few Whites early on after that that were made by Jacobsen or something other than MTD. Could be wrog, but I really think I remember either seeing one or a picture of one in some advertising, but its been a long time ago and I could be confusing it with something else.

PatRarick
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
AFAIK,MTD made all the White garden tractors.
Are you sure about that? Didnt White Aquire Minneapolis Moline way back? I'm thinking there were a few Whites early on after that that were made by Jacobsen or something other than MTD. Could be wrog, but I really think I remember either seeing one or a picture of one in some advertising, but its been a long time ago and I could be confusing it with something else.
Jacobsen made Minneapolis-Moline and Oliver garden tractors for a short time. They also made White garden tractors. Jacobsen built Whites were red. The silver Whites were made by MTD. If I'm not mistaken the 1855 was MTD's 900 series tractor. The 900 series was a very well built, heavy machine. Shaft drive, 15" rear wheels, and I believe a cast iron front axle. Pat

dirtsaver
Pat nailed it. Before MTD got bogged down with Cub Cadet(ouch) and so many "box store" contracts they made some darn fine units in the Garden Tractor class, one of which was the White line. By the way Mark, you had the names right, just backwards. MTD built the Sears Crapsmans.

Jovee
quote:
Originally posted by dirtsaver
Pat nailed it. Before MTD got bogged down with Cub Cadet(ouch) and so many "box store" contracts they made some darn fine units in the Garden Tractor class, one of which was the White line. By the way Mark, you had the names right, just backwards. MTD built the Sears Crapsmans.
Larry, MTD only made the 219 and 247 coded units for Sears which I have yet to ever see. Many companies built the Sears stuff but the majority was by Roper and Murray until AYP took over who makes the majority now. A Craftsman will never be as bad as a newer MTD. Les, Does the White have the big 5 gallon fuel tank up under the hood?

dirtsaver
Joe I wasn't thinking of the Surburban line, only the more recent Sears units. I know when I was with Southern States Coops in the 1990s we had the excat mowers in our Statesman line as the Craftsman,both made by MTD, just changed the color and labels. Brindley-Hardy in louisville used to send out field reps to our store to test mount their equipment for both the Statesman and Craftsman lines.

LesH
Yes. This White has the large black plastic gas tank under the hood. 3 point hitch/ hydro-- hi/ lo transmission// looks like a Peerless transmission. Large rear tires. I noticed they used-- plastic?? bushings....

lboy1971
Here's a Jacobsen built White tractor. I've also had the White Yard Boss 16HP tractors that were built for them by MTD. Basically the same as a Farm King but with silver/grey paint and different cast front grill. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/lboy1971/WHITEhoodright.JPG[/img]

Jovee
Les, this is the best I could dig up as far as a comparitive picture which belongs to a friend and is being restored. I had an older model pic but have deleted it. [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Unico%20Restoration%20Project/SS2.jpg[/IMG]

RBE17
quote:
Originally posted by dirtsaver
... Before MTD got bogged down with Cub Cadet(ouch) and so many "box store" contracts they made some darn fine units in the Garden Tractor class, one of which was the White line. By the way Mark, you had the names right, just backwards. MTD built the Sears Crapsmans.
I see so many people talking bad about the newer Cub Cadets. What's the problem w/ them? Is it quality, durability, reliability...? When did the problems start?. Do the problems span all CC tractors made by MTD? My father has a CC garden tractor that's about six or eight years old and it seems very rugged and runs fine. Other than appearing a little under powered and a little sloppy in the steering, it's fine. Thanks, Steve.

MrSteele
My father has a late 60s model Cub Cadet with a 12 hp Kohler. Aside from the fact that the clutch needs replaced every 3 years or so, and the deck throws trash directly into the air cleaner, and the deck design stinks otherwise, it is a good tractor, made extremely heavy, looks as if it is built to withstand the rigors of many acres of mowing per week. Then ther is the fact that it has a sink on it for an engine. I am not completely certain if the design of the tractor is bad, or if the engine should never have been put on a lawn tractor. When you have the engine off to replace the clutch, you may as well rebuild it, also, or at the least, patch it with a new set of rings, gaskets, seals, and anything else you can think of at the time!