Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Broadmoor 727

I've just acquired an older Simplicity Broadmoor Model 727. ID tag on the rear behind the seat says it's model 909488 Manual or 909489 Electric and Serial # is 002905. I'm assuming that this is an electric model since it has a big starter/generator on the right side. It has a Briggs & Stratton engine model #171701, Type 0124-01, and Code 6812021. The engine is currently seized--it was run out of oil. Otherwise the tractor, which has a 36" mower deck mounted, appears to be in great shape. I was lucky enough to get it for free, and I love the looks of the tractor. I'm interested in finding out what year this tractor was made. I'm also curious about how I might replace the engine (in other words, what NEW Briggs engine would bolt right up and accept the current starter setup). I'm going to try to tear it down to see if it can be rebuilt, but I'm looking at worst case scenarios in case the engine is shot. Any info that anybody could supply would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg

Based on MFR number, I'd say it's a 1968 model -- and the engine was made on Dec 2, 1968... Think you'll love it. It's a great little machine!

A new short block with Magnetron solid state will probably be around $400 - a good alternative if you can do the work yourself and want to keep the generator setup. Just make sure the carb throttle shaft is not too "wobbly". If it is it can be rebuilt but the carb must be fully disassembled. The trickest part is to be able to securely restake the large welch plug on the end so it doesn't fall out - if it does and goes unnoticed (which can happen) it will suck unfiltered dirt straight into the engine and wear it out in no time! :(

Thanks for all of the info. I've finally gotten the tractor home and have pulled the hood, grill and spark plug. Going to try to fill the cylinder w/ Marvel Mystery Oil in a half-hearted attempt to free up the engine. Fully expecting to have to tear it down, though. Any leads on where to get a reliable rebuilt unit for this tractor? If I can get it running, I'm thinking that I might even get a snowblower attachment for it. Thanks again! Greg

Check you local mower repair shop - 8 HP were pretty common. If not I think I have a good used one for $250 but the controls will be different or if we part out the 707 it has the same model as yours.