Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro-lift conversion

Simpleton7016

This will be the thread I will use to document progress on my newest project. I am converting a 7016 manual lift to a hydro lift. This won't be started for a while, but must be done by winter. Likewise, it will be done in vary small stages (a half hour here and maybe an hour there) so I should be able to post plenty of pictures. I have already received lots of good feedback and advice. Thus, I am confident that it can be done. If you have any questions as I go along or would like any specific pictures, please let me know and I will accomodate. I am still in the planning stages and my first question is this: 1. Rather than lift the tractor up on jack stands or ramps, what are your thoughts about turning the machine over on it's side or back? Bob said I need to be sure to drain the gas and oil and take out the battery. I may need to drain the trans fluid too. What about the BGB? Of course the deck will be off and I will try to use blankets and other cushioning to preserve the body panels. Any other tips, warnings, suggestions, experiences or other thoughts about tipping the tractor off its tires? I am doing this for a number of reasons. Little kids who get into everything. Better lighting. Better working space. A hate of crawling under things....etc, etc, etc. Thanks in advance. Erik

I have found that if I stand mine up on its back wheels[lifting the front straight up] with a chain hoist no damage and can see well. But remember to take battery and gas out first.:D

I did this conversion to my 716H with it sitting on the wheels. Didn't really see the need to get it high into the air. Guess it would have eliminated lying under it to hook up the cylinder and hoses. That was about the only part that required much time under the tractor.