Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Kohler Re-Ring

Al
Hi, I have never had any faith in ring jobs. I feel it is pouring money down a rat hole. If the rings are worn and they probably are, the cylinder is also. If you pull the head and the cylinder is not worn more than about .002 or .003 maybe rings will work if worse than that bore it, put in a new piston and rod and be done with it. Also replace the balance gear bearings, retainers and the shafts if they have over .001 wear. I have seen fairly "new" overhauls with the whole bottom broke up because one of the retainers failed or the bearing went out and the gear came loose in the crankcase. They are not compressable and break whatever they contact. My thoughts, they are free so value accordingly. Good luck, AL

Mike
This question is for anyone with experience in overhauling Kohler engines. I have a 1978 7012H with a 12hp K301 Kohler. I believe the engine is original and has never been rebuilt. The engine runs strong and quiet, and is reasonably tight. But, it is burning oil at the rate of 1 quart per 3 tanks of fuel. Experience with larger engines has taught me that if one component is worn others are worn also. Is that also true for K-series Kohler engines? Would it be realistic for me to expect to replace only the rings in this engine without reboring the cylinder and getting involved in a complete overhaul?