Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler 19hp carburetor rebuild

I just bought a Simplicity 7119 hydrostatic with hydro lift and Kohler 19hp engine.
It seems that it was sitting for while,not sure how long. it runs ok , no knocks or slaps of pistons etc.
However when I first went to mow after 5-10 minutes the engine bogs down and engine smokes like its getting choked, when I back off the throttle it runs better for a while but starts acting up again. I noticed when I pull the air filter off it seems to run better (the air filter is new) I think the carburetor needs rebuilding.
My questions are I want to soak the carb in parts cleaner , does anyone know if there any plastic or rubber parts in the carb that would cause a problem with soaking.
And second question if this tractor sat for awhile what other maintenance should I do or things that I should watch for adjustments etc etc. I changed the engine oil and new air cleaner already

Thanks Tom

Tom, I would suggest disassembling the carburetor before soaking. That way anything that comes loose will not stay in the carburetor, also you can check the condition of the needle valve and float. Other maintenance I would suggest would be to check the levels of the hydraulics, check for any oil leaks, check the condition and tension of all belts, and tell me if your a VRIPer from New Jersey. Tim

Tom,
Assuming that you will disassemble, clean, and reassemble with a carb kit, don't worry about the soft parts. They are in the kit. The problem you describe is a little strange, perhaps the carb IS losing fuel control after warm-up. The rebuild should cure that. Beyond that, I would just suggest that you clean and lube 'everything' and change the hydro fluid and filter by the book.
Fred

• 1 month later...
The old Kohler book that I have states "upon complete dasassembly "use a good carb cleaner follow the manufactures instructions "carefully" ,and use a carb cleaner such as ACETONE...
If the carb IS NOT fully disassembled DO NOT SOAK carb soaking will ruin fiber and rubber seals.....
Black sooty smoke,engine sluggish:main fuel mixture to rich ,turn main fuel mixture screw in to lean out gas .or a sticky or water logged float /or needle seat ......
Good luck Jim Lambert...