Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Engine Replace or Re-Power

Al
Hi, I don't think you can buy a new k301 to fit this. You might find some yet, but they are either out of production or very close. Kohler is only building certain spec ones and they are for replacement use only. It is nearly dead due the fact that they don't meet the 2000 EPA regulations. Short blocks and parts are available, but very few complete engines, at least from my distributor. They distrbute Kohler in 14 states. We sell a repower kit that puts an 18hp Vangard in these 7000 series.tractors. It includes everything wou need to do it. It requires some hole cutting and welding. It is nearly a bolt in. It includes the engine, muffler, heat shields, Ignition adaptor module, engine adaptor mounting plate hardware, choke, throttle cable, battery cables, fuel tank bushing, all parts to adapt the driveshaft, remote oil filter kit and custom hoses, oil drain valve and hose, frame reinforcment bracket, fuel line and filter, templates to fit everything and complete step by step instructions. The kit is $1850.00 plus freight. Due to the space requirements for the oil filter, this kit will NOT allow the use of the snowblower front clutch. This is the only engine we have used in this application, we use the TH18 Kohler in the 7100s, but the real estate is much more limited in the 7000 and 700ACs by the time you get the muffler and heat shield in. we would need a about a week to deliver a kit, as right now I don't have any mufflers built up. Good luck, Al

Mike
This is a follow-up to my "Kohler Re-Ring" question. I've had poor experiences with other than factory rebuilt engines. Therefore, I don't want to waste my time or money. Here are my options as I see them: A. Just keep adding oil and leave my engine alone. B. Exchange my engine for a factory rebuilt (is there such a thing?) C. Replace my engine with a new engine. Although I am not opposed to more horsepower, the 12hp K301 is doing the job. If I replace the engine with new, should I replace the K301 with: 1. Another new K301. 2. A new K321 or K341. Should I stay with a single or go to twin? 3. A new KT-series. 4. An "L-head" Magnum. 5. An "OHV" Command or Command Pro. 6. An "OHC" Triad. 7. None of the above (go to B&S, other). I realize replacing the K301 with anything else will require other modifications. Will the end result be worth the effort?

BradW
Personally, if this tractor is going to do any work I don't recomend the kohler ohv's I have one in my new lighter simplicity and it has no pulling or lugging power,just stalls, If your crankcase is good, I can get you in contact with a person who has a kohler k-301 engine, you'd have to swap crankcase pans then but it has little use, Tell me if interested.-Brad Wies

DoubleT
If you are going to continue using the machine, you might try slick-50 until you come up with a better solution. I'm not usually impressed with liquid overhauls, and I know this stuff toasted its' share of automotive engines by flaking teflon plugging oil filters. But we did use it (straight slick-50) in a very tired service station air-compressor, and it worked about 6 months. We then drained and refilled it with slick-50 again, and that ol' compressor was still working fine when I was last around it about 3 years later. I plan on using it on one of my tractors if I ever get around to going through the gear train on it.