Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

18 HP Briggs 2 Cylinder question....

LesH

I have an 18 HP Briggs 2 Cylinder on my tractor and while it is running I can hear a tinny rattle now and then. Engine has new oil and does not put out any blue smoke. Did Briggs have trouble with the valve seats staying in the block?? Hopefully both cylinders are working, I believe I would certainly notice if one was not working. Any suggestions appreciated!!!

Define that rattle. That could be a piece of loose sheet metal like I have on my mower deck. Are you talking maybe a knock?

I've often seen the the spot welds for air deflector in the blower housing come loose. The deflector vibrates and that vibration is compounded by the flywheel magnets as they pass by the deflector. Pat

I have three of these engines in different makes of tractors and they all seem to have a different sound. One I thought sounded on the verge of coming apart when new. That was 13 years ago. Still running strong. Did I just jinx myself or what?

Yes and no on the valve seats. If you overheat one they tend to loose the exhaust seat. If you keep the fins clear under the tin you should not have a problem with that. As Jim said I've heard some of these sound like a rod is loose but seem to keep going anyway. Don't know what it is.