Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
shanhamm

smoke......

shanhamm
so.......today i fired up the yeoman to cut the grass. and when she started there was a whole lot of white smoke on fire up. smoke cleard she ran fine, got the grass cut. when i went to shut her down, she puffed a little white smoke. my guess is maybe the rings are starting to go bad. she has never done this before. any opinions would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

BLT
Generally rings don't go good today and bad tomorrow. The evolution kind of sneaks up on you. If this is the first time it happend I would look at your breather to make sure fibre disc flops about. If not first guess is change breather.

shanhamm
thanks bob for your input. tommorow i'll check out the breather. i took a class in small engines. i can tear an engine down and have it rebuilt in no time at all. but when it comes to diagnosing problems, i have a hard time pinpointing the problem. thanks again for you input.
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Generally rings don't go good today and bad tomorrow. The evolution kind of sneaks up on you. If this is the first time it happend I would look at your breather to make sure fibre disc flops about. If not first guess is change breather.

shanhamm
quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
Did you check the oil before you started it. Might have had some gas leak through the carb and got in the oil.
yes, as a matter of fact i did. i did top off the oil it was a little low. as for the carb, i does leak, if i don't shut off the shut off valve after use. but after use, if gas did get into the oil, would it still smoke after running for an hour?

HubbardRA
My son bent a crankshaft on my push mower. I grabbed another engine out of the shed and threw it on the chassis quickly so that I could get the grass cut. When I started it, there was a cloud of white smoke from oil burning, that went away after a few minutes of operation. Figured the engine was shot. Next time I started it, another cloud of smoke. Third time, cloud of smoke. Fourth time, no smoke. Figured it was probably out of oil by then. Checked the oil and it was sitting perfectly on the full mark. Guess I must have been looking at the dipstick cross-eyed when I filled it the first time. All of my smoke had been from the engine being over-filled with oil, and I know better than to over-fill an engine. Guess I was just in a hurry to get that engine running and put too much oil in.

PatRarick
If it wasn't sitting level, or had been lifted or tipped for servicing, oil could have entered the cylinder. If a vertical shaft engine is to be tipped for service, or is put into storage with oil in the crankcase, the spark plug should be pointing towards the upward side. Next best is for the breather to be on the upward side. If either of these are pointing downward, oil will enter the cylinder by leaking past the rings or the valve guides. Pat