Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Toe-In/Wheel Alignment

Roy
After fixing the loose right front wheel (see Simple Pleasures post) the tractor pulls left slightly. Seems worse as the speed increases. Could be due to tire wear from the loose wheel but got me to wondering if there is some way to adjust the toe-in and what others have done (if anything). Thanks,

HubbardRA
Roy, No toe in adjustment on that tractor. Toe in will not force a pull to one side only. Too far in, and it steers extremely easy but the steering is sort of unstable. Too much toe out and it wants to follow the contours of the ground in both directions, but not to just one side. I would suspect one of two things: 1. You may have changed the caster and maybe the camber when you put in the new bushings on one side only. The other side may now be sitting at a slightly different angle than the one you fixed. This can cause a pull to one side only. I can't tell you which way it will pull without knowing the steering angles of each side. 2. If there are irregularities in the alignment of the bearing and race, or if the bearing clearance is set too tight, this will also make the tractor pull in the direction of the wheel you just fixed.

Roy
What about torque reaction from the limited slip differential? Think you are correct on the toe-in. Thanks for remembering for me. Changed the caster for sure on the R-H side. The king pin bushings were pretty sloppy. The L-H king pin is fairly tight but certainly has some wear. Pulls left so new wheel bearings should be OK. The new inner bearing definitely changed the camber; put it back where it should be. The L-H wheel spins free w/o excess end play. Think it is OK. I suspect tire wear is part, if not all, of the problem. In any case it isn't bad enough to cause concern. Appreciate your input,

Roy
" How's the tire pressure Roy? A soft tire will cause pull." Good suggestion John. Checked the tires today and the rears were nearly flat. Aired all four tires up and it goes much straighter. Sure is easy to overlook one of the "simple" things. Now I can steer with one hand on the wheel hub when going straight. Does take a little effort on the wheel rim to make turns. Thanks again,