Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tuff Torq Hydrostatic Transmission Question

SmilinSam

Works on level and low grade slopes but will not pull itself up a steeper slope in reverse and slows down in forward. I'm new to these newer aluminum transmission types, but is it correct to assume that its ready for the bone pile?

It is my understanding (from a tuff torq memo?) that you can change the fluid in most of these to 20/50 synthetic motor oil to extend the life, but when that stops working it's boneyard time. Hopefully someone else has some more or different info. I do believe they have a filter in them that can be change depending on the model.

quote:
Originally posted by rs07
Sam, Just curious, what tractor is this transmission in?
Its a K61A in a 1999 Toro Wheel Horse 270-H. Looks fairly similar to ones in a bunch of these in Simplicity and Deere tractors too. Oil level is OK, but it looks dark for 10W30 as required in the owners manual. There also seems to be a slight chattering effect as it slows down to a stop trying to pull uphill.

Hi, We have a bunch of these out and have only ever had one apart. It was in a Broadmore and the owner went to change the oil, drained it and got about a half a qt in because he didn't remove the plug on top to prevent air lock. Started the engine and tried to get it to take more oil by running it. Scored the plate and rotating group. I lapped it out and it is still going good. These are very reliable transmissions. they are built with 2 chambers with all of the gears in the rear chamber and then there is a divider with a kind of felt filter that the oil goes to for the pump plus this oil gets filtered. The gear chamber is kind of a settling tank and the metal particles lay on the floor of this area. Before O tote into the transmission, I would check the drive belt, both for wear and glazing. Next check the tightener pulleys and the linkage to be sure it is free and is adequately tightening the belt. Based on my experience with Tuff-Torqs and the way they performed when Simplicity used them to replace the Hydro-gears in the Broadmores. I would bet the problem is more likely in the belt set up than in the hyrdre. Also make sure the engine is turning 3550 to 3600. Hydrogears use 20W-50 and synthetic put in them definitely adds to their life. Al Eden. My comments are free, value accordingly.

Belts nice and tight and no slippage visible at anytime ( I watched under the tractor from the side while having another driver trying to back up a slope) I would say its got some internal problems. I downloaded a reair manul on these, but I dont know as if I care to get that involved. Have to dwell on what to do with it for a while.

To continue the story... I changed the oil in the unit today and suprisingly the performance improved about 60%. It will tackle moderate grades (30 degree or so)now, but still refuses a steep incline (40 degree or so)in Reverse.