Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front of tractor is lifting up

john2oak

Hello, yesterday i went to see a little tractor for sale i saw in a paper add. The photo in the add was very shady so i could not see exactly the brand of the tractor, and there was just an adress, an hour drive from home. I was hoping for a little AC or Simplicity so i decided to go there. My deception, it was not a AC or a simplicity. It was very cheap though, so i bought it anyway. Its having a 7 hp motor B&G, and 4 speed forward and one reverse. Its working ok. And i wanted one for my nephews when they come to the woodland. The problem its having is that every time you start with it, the front end lift in the air, and not just an inch or two, it literaly lifts...i find it unsafe for the young guys. I want to solve the problem before they ride it. I was thinking of putting a weight in front of the trator to prevent it to lift from the front end. Is it a good idea or a bad idea ? Or is there something else i can do to prevent it ? The guy who sold it to me says that it is doin so since the mower deck was removed , and that it had "unbalanced" the weight of the tractor. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance. Salutations

John it makes sense that without the deck the front is lighter and may lift on take-off. Adding weight would be an acceptable fix. If possible, you might rig a system to put the weight back where the deck was. If that does not work, add the weight to the front of the tractor,making sure it is mounted to a solid part of the tractor. You do not want it to fall off while driving or tear the front axle off.

I'm not trying to be a web-troll, but for grins I'll take the opposing viewpoint... If I were a kid, I'd LOVE the fact that the front wheels come up. Just like the big boys at the tractor-pulls. Instead of putting work into the front weight, I'd put a deadman-switch on the seat; which would make the rig safer in any situation. Then, I'd put wheelie-bars on the butt of the tractor and help the kids paint some cool flames on the hood and get some performance themed decals/stickers for the sides. Keep in mind, I don't have kids. All in fun, but safety first.

Hello Mr. Dirtsaver, its a good idea to try to put the weight where it was previously. I will look where i could do it under the tractor. I will take youre idea in consideration. Mr.Licitysimp, i know what you mean. But i did not said all in my first post. I want to attach a very small trailer on it so my nephews can do little jobs and giving them the impression they contribute to hard work ! i doesn't matter if they have to take twice the normal time, or more, to displace some wood from a place to another...But for the flames, not a bad idea ! Mr Tec and Boney, i think they are already load, i am not sure, but they are very "hard". The front blade could be also another option to consider. I don't know exactly what i am goin to do but i am will study my thing. Thanks a lot guys for the advices, its appreciate. Last question if i may ask. If i put weight somewhere or put a small blade (if i could find one), i suppose it must not be too heavy ? like 30 pounds ? TY again, Salutations Jean

I would make a weight box that would fit in the front, and where the Deck would go. But if you wanted to have some fun, Make a Wheelie Bar!:D8D:p;):o) :o) Ha, a clown!

"i think they are already load, i am not sure, but they are very "hard"." Jean, by "load the tires" Boney means to fill them with liquid. Most people use windshield washer fluid so freezing will not be a problem in the winter. Weight per gallon is little over 8 pounds (approximately 4 kg). Don't know how many gallons/liters a front tire takes but as an example if the tire takes 3 gallons then the added weight is 24 lbs (12 kg) per tire. Note: 1 kg = 2.2 lbs. Try a SimpleTractors site search for wheel weights and/or windshield washer fluid. There have been many posts on the topic. Hope this helps,

Hello Mark, i will look where the deck was, but not much space in think, we'll see. Its a very small tractor... Mr Roy, i will retry a search for a topic on it,that's true, it could be a good lead. Thanks for the precision, i know my english isn't always the best. I want to repaint it with a color wich i think is going to be near AC Orange. Its called "clear pumpkin", or something like that. I will put a photo once finish so you can tell me what you think of the color. I like also a color i saw on some photos here, it is less orange or a more "softer" orange, less flashy one. I don't know the name. I would like to make a mix of both. Thank you all again. I will look to apply youre advices. Salutations JEAN

Jean, You're probably better off changing the pulley size. Put on a smaller engine pulley & a shorter belt. It'll make the tractor take-off slower, and run a little slower, but it'll have a lot more torque. Great for getting out of muddy situations and driving up and down hills... The engine likes it better too. If you didn't want to deal with pulleys, you could weaken (Stretch out a little) the spring that pushes the idle pulley to tension the belt drive. It'll make for a more sluggish start.

Mr. Ketchamized, That's another interesting avenue. I am going to translate this to my brother in law, who is more competent than me in mechanic and see if we can do someting in this area. May be this could work. Thanks a lot. Jean

John, I have a cheap murry that does the same thing. It also is the fastest tractor I have ever seen, 3rd gear will run as fast as a man can run. I only use it for mowing a steep ditch with lots of stones, don't want to wreck the ACs or Simps. I just live with the front end problem.

Hello, Mr. Eagle, i will look in this direction when my brother in law will come here, probably we can do something in the clutch or pulley and/or belt size area. Mr. Samson, the reason i do not want to keep it like this is because my young nephews will drive it, and i don't want them to "loose control"...like their uncle, they unfortunately will be late bloomers "mechanicaly" speaking. And i also want to attach a small trailer on it. But i agree with you, this tractor is very nervous. Thanks for the messages Salutations Jean

Hi again, my brother in law look at the tractor and said that you guys were right, we would probably be able to fix the problem in the pulley or clutch area, and may be add just a very little weight to stabilize everything. Thanks again to every one who took the time to answer my question, it is appreciate. Salutations Jean

Hello, just an update of my recent work on my little 7 hp tractor. First, i repainted it and by doing so, i tried a colour wich i thought would look like AC Orange. Its called "tangerine"...Well it is really "tangerine" and not very AC Orange. Some will say that if it is write "tangerine" on the can, it is not write "orange"...It was a try and its not so bad after all. I will try to put a photo on shmow and tell. Don't hurry, i took me almost a full day to put my first photos... Then, i removed the old foam seat wich was very high and full of craks and smelling just like an old seat could smell, the bottom was also broke so it acted a lot like a "spring"...and i replaced it by an old fashion metal tractor seat that i repainted to. I try to have the AC cream white for the seat. On the can, it says "almond" not "cream"...i know...it was another try. By changing the seat, i did not realized it but it lowered a lot the center of gravity, wich help the front not lifting up and the seat is not "springing" no more, wich help too. And finally, we play just a bit in the region of the clutch/pulley. Don't ask me the exact name of the parts we loosen up but it works perfectly. Thanks again guys, i will put a photo soon...should be in 2006 if forecasts are right. Salutations

If it is going to be mainly for your nephews, I'm sure they won't care that it is not the "correct" orange! They'll thank their Uncle Jean for fixing up a tractor for them.

Mr Skot, It is going to be mainly for my nephews and you are totally right ! They won't care at all about the orange or the tangerine. I am anticipating the first time they will ride it, i think they will be very excited and me too to be honest. My sister will probably tell me that its very dangerous but after 5 minutes, she will relax...! Salutations Jean