Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
prophead

repower an allis t-816

prophead
Can anyone give me an idea of what the best repower options are for a briggs twin 402700 i/c series engine? I am having problems with this 16hp, I lost the exhaust valve seat on the left side. I have peened it back in but now I seem to be having some carb issues as the float bowl refuses to fill. Either way this engine has seen better days and I think it is time to repower. I picked up a new to me 5216 that cuts real nice so I now have a spare;-) I would like to keep my ears open for a reasonably priced used engine so what are my best options? I am not necessarily opposed to doing some drilling but something that bolts right up would be nice. Also I think I would like to move up to a 18 or 20 HP. thanks

UCD
Briggs & Stratton Replacement Engine Catalog (MS-5568). This catalog shows all of our service replacement engines and also provides the measurements of the engines, specification information, and other valuable dimensions, numbers, etc. This catalog contains only our most commonly used "multi-purpose" engines. [url]http://www.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/EngineReplacement.pdf[/url] What is the direct replacement for my engine? [url]http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faqs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1487[/url]

prophead
Thanks for the good info, My engine unfortunately is not in that document so I do not know if there is a direct replacement. I would assume that the biggest deal is the crankshaft dimesions matching up I think mine is a 1" Dia.3-5/32", Tapped 7/16"-20, which is available on a Vanguard 18 HP. And the next biggest deal is finding a muffler that will fit under the hood.