Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Smoking front PTO shaft

MadMike

I observed something that has me scratching my head a little. Yesterday while mowing my grass I seemed to notice some smoke every now and then coming from the front of my 2012. With the engine at idle, I walked around the front and noticed smoke coming from what looks like my front PTO shaft, but no oil leaking out. Am I seeing this right? I guess smoke could be from a bad oil seal, but wouldn't there also be oil leaking? Mike

This problem brings to mind, my Boss and his John Deere tractor. He has had the tractor for a couple of years. And He also has a 212 that he bought new. This summer he was experiencing heat problems with a front tire on the new tractor. He thought the tire had dry rotted. So he swiped the tire and rim from the 212. After that he noticed that the rim was so hot he could not hold his hand on it. He thought that the wheel bearings were causing the problem, so he greased the bearings. Still had problem, then he thought the spindle bearings were bad. I asked him where the exhaust was pointed, as I had noticed on some tractors you can not have motor running when sitting still, because it burns the grass. He took tracto in to dealer, carb was running lean end of problem Does your exhaust leak or point to area of front pto?

Ron, Good question but I don't think that's the problem in my case. I did put a new automotive style muffler on my tractor recently, but I mounted it in front of the grill with about a 2" gap between the muffler and the grill. Here's a photo:

This muffler has been in place for a few months, I haven't noticed smoke until a few days ago. Mike

Much quieter than the original or the IH-1 stack I tried out, especially at idle. I know it looks a little goofy, but I just got real tired of the noise. Here's a few more photo's:

By the way, if your looking for a slightly used IH-1 with a coupler already welded in place, let me know. Mike