Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MarksA-C

Its Finally Done!!!

MarksA-C
I just want to say Thank you all for your Help. Finally have finished my Engine problems. As it turns out, all that was wrong is that water got in the gas and that is sat too long. After All the work I did!!! AHhhhhhhhHHh}:):(! What I did was add Fresh gas and a Little bit of Octane booster, But I did all the measurmens so I didnt add to much. Now instead of all the knocking and Pinging, it runs alot smoother. And there isnt any smoke!! BUT... There still is a problem, when I have the engine running in fast speed, It studenlly looses power and spews a ton of smoke. Is it from lack of fuel? If so, I bet its the fuel filter in the tank because from what I've heard metal tanks usually rust and clog the internal filter. Am I right? Or Am I wrong? Sorry for this Topic being so long.8D Thank You

Ketchamized
Marks-AC, If you have rust in your tank, regardless of what problem your tractor has, you should get an inline filter. They cost just 2 bucks at a hardware store. Splice it in the line... But before you do that, if you have rust, you really should clean your tank out first, as well as clean out any rust particles inside the carb and the line. That's important.. You don't want rusted metal particles to end up inside your cylinder wall, scratching it. Your octane booster is burning the engine too hot... That losing of power probably is a soft-sieze... You really should take that gas booster out of there and put in regular unleaded gas without any octane boosters. It'll reduce that somewhat. You should also check the oil level and to see if the oil needs to be changed. Make sure it's the right oil. Normally, I'd say that you have a problem with air restriction w/ your airbox (Too much fuel, not enough air in the mixture), but the smoke part... Should not happen if it was just that. So that's ruled out. But, as a test, you can take the airbox off and see if it happens with the airbox off. If it did, then air restriction isn't the problem. But if it actually improved the situation, then you need to clean the oil filter sponge. (To do that, put it in a bowl full of warm water and dish soap and let it soak overnight. Squeeze it out the next day, dip it back in, squeeze it out... Then put a little fresh oil in the sponge, squeeze it out... And put it back on. Should be right as rain. It's possible that you had some old gas, gunk inside the cylinder wall, and etc... And the octane booster cleaned it right up, making your engine run smoother. But, now that all the gunk is gone, there is no reason for any octane booster being in the gas. In fact, I advise against it with small engines under 16hp. Edited part: Check out your spark plug. How does it look? It should be dry light black. If it's white, then your engine was overheated. If it's full of oil, then you've got carbon gunk in your cylinder chamber. If that's the case, you can take the engine head off, and clean it out. Just don't scratch anything. Put it back on, use a new head gasket for a perfect seal. RE: the internal gas filter, I'm not sure if there's such a thing as an internal gas filter. If there's one, it's a screen in the gas petcock.

MarksA-C
Uh Oh, I actually was planning on draining all the old gas out tomorrow and seeing what was up in the tank. I actually put a fuel filter on it while I was doing the Engine work. So thats taken care of. But even on a little Unnamed tractor (was really unnamed)with a steel tank it had a filter inside the tank. And I also changed the Oil with standard 30wt like many people here told me to do. So I'll put in a couple of hours tomorrow and report whats going on.