Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Governer Problem (Poor Running Engine)

MarksA-C

Well, after all the work I did My engine still isnt running right. New gas. Cleaned Engine. New Oil. Cleaned Gas Tank. But today I was running it and I heard my Older neighbor yelled to me,"The Governer isnt working properly!!!" Then he came over and while the Engine was running did something around the carb and it ran smoother. Then he said,"Yup, you need to Address that Governer." So now I'm here, ask you all for help. Can I fix it myself? What do I do?? Will It cost alot??? Thank You

1. If you had the engine apart and played with the innards, and it runs after putting it together, you can fix this yourself. 2. What you do depends on what is broken or out of adjustment. The linkage may have slipped on the shaft and need to be repositioned, you may need a new spring, or, the governor may need to be replaced. What engine do you have? 3. Cost depends on the reply to #2 above. If it is the spring(s), a few bucks. Out of adjustment, no cost, just a bit of aggravation. If the governor itself, a set of pan gaskets, you'll have to break the engine down again if you already did that, to replace the governor. That should cost about $50 or so, last I checked. Most likely it is adjustment or the springs, though, if it works at all.

Also, check for the bolt/nut that grips the governor arm. Make sure that's tight. Some people here have reported having that loose and it flops around, causing the engine to run faster, slower, faster...

My father and I checked the spring first, that was the problem. From what he said the heat from the engine wore it out. Does that sound about right? How do I fix it, or do I have to replace it?

There is a tang under the throttle control bracket that holds the governor spring. That can be bent out to increase the engine speed. Heat doesn't cause the spring to loose its tension unless done to the point where the spring glows cherry red.

Is there anyone in the Milwaukee area of Wisconsin that might be able to take a look? And where can I get a new spring for it?

Its kind of hard to ever get him to help me. Sometimes hes at work, at his sons house, or just too tired. My father is also is never able too help much.