Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plumbing err Kohler question

ReedS

While I'm basically a dedicated briggs fan I managed to put my fingers on a very well priced K321 supposedly of 14 hp. Currently mounted on a homemade leaf blower it has a magneto ignition but no under flywheel charging system. The question that comes here is whether this can be converted to the battery powered coil and an under the flwheel alternator? I haven't really worked on the kohler motors enough to know if this will work so anything that is know about this would be apppreciated. Thanks

Yes, it can be, you need a bearing plate with stator, matching flywheel, shroud and coil, the parts will go on easy, after you remove the flywheel, hope this helps,

Might be cost prohibitive. The flywheel you need will have to be a Magnum series with the underneath magnets as well as the outer magnet for the ignition coil. Also as already stated , you will need a bearing plate that allows the installation of a stator if yours does not already have the threaded holes and the mounting ring cast into it.

Sam, the plan is to ditch the mag for a battery powered coil ig nition. Really only need the alt and external ring gear for starter. Doesn't sound to bad to convert.

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
Sam, the plan is to ditch the mag for a battery powered coil ig nition. Really only need the alt and external ring gear for starter. Doesn't sound to bad to convert.
Guess I need to learn to read better:D I have a bearing plate, flywheel, and stator from a K301A block if that would work.