Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Meg-Mo Cutting Blades

Tacey

This is an unsolicited endorsement of the Meg-Mo blade system They have a website, I think it is www.meg-mo.com. There are many of us who use and swear by the Gator blades. I tried them, and only swore AT 'em. Then, a guy named Dutch referenced Meg-mo on this board. Of course, I had to try them out. I love them. I am just finishing up my third season using them, and they are awesome. They are installed on my Simplicity Broadmoor II 6011, 42 inch deck. The deck is not very "deep", which perhaps explain my disappointment with the Gators. Leaf season is upon us; just in time for Meg-mo. Tacey

Very interesting... My granny had a similar setup on an electric: four pivoting 2" knives on a 13" disk. Darn-near silent... way better than the prop-wail of typical electrics. How well do the MM blades mulch grass? It's hard to judge by a promotional video. (A real end-user is a bit more reliable.) Thanks in advance...

quote:
Originally posted by LicitySimp
Very interesting... How well do the MM blades mulch grass? It's hard to judge by a promotional video. Thanks in advance...
I had a Landlord from the 1997 era, equipped with the Kawasaki 17-horse, hydro, and the turbo-vac attachment. IOW, I'm pretty fussy about the finished cut quality. After one season, I sold the Landlord and went back to using the old Broadmoor, no bagger, and the MM's. (I also like that the Broadmoor uses about 1/2 of the gasoline per cut). Besause I don't have to empty out the collector bag, I actually spend less time cutting with the 44-inch deck vs the 50-incher on the Landlord. The results speak for themselves...

Tacey

Direct from the hairbrained scheme dept: My guess is having four blades (pivoting or not) is the factor in the improved mulching... So, I could imagine a curious type of a person (such as myself) making a plate that allows for a second blade to be bolted to an arbor, perpendicular to the first blade. Granted, the blades would be at different heights, but that might not be a bad thing. I do have a few spare blades lying around... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Tacey, Does it mulch the grass like they try to show in the video? He raked his fingers through the lawn after cutting 7" down to 2" and he was unable to grab anything. If this is true then the cost of the three blades would be worth it. Also, anyone try these blades on leaves in the fall? I have the vac setup on my B-10 but it is still a pain in the back end unloading that trailer 5-6 times a day. The leaves don't get mulched as fine as the grass does when I vac it. Plus it would be easier to get around the yard without the trailer in tow. Wayno

I have seen crapsmans with criscrossed blades before. I think they have an adaptor to allow you to cross 2 standard blades for mulching. I bet it works good but only have seen it on junk tractors. never tried megmo. I am very happy with exmark highlift blades. I am also not a fan of the gators. They are not good on tall wet grass that i most often cut. Also, i get too much blow black (air pressure) under the deck.I use a 48 inch commercial walk behind. I have better luck with high lift blades. Some people love the gator blades though. next year i will be setting up a soveriegn to cut fields and may try the gators again on that. I need to find a 48 inch deck first.

quote:
Originally posted by Tacey
quote:
Originally posted by LicitySimp
Very interesting... How well do the MM blades mulch grass? It's hard to judge by a promotional video. Thanks in advance...
I had a Landlord from the 1997 era, equipped with the Kawasaki 17-horse, hydro, and the turbo-vac attachment. IOW, I'm pretty fussy about the finished cut quality. After one season, I sold the Landlord and went back to using the old Broadmoor, no bagger, and the MM's. (I also like that the Broadmoor uses about 1/2 of the gasoline per cut). Besause I don't have to empty out the collector bag, I actually spend less time cutting with the 44-inch deck vs the 50-incher on the Landlord. The results speak for themselves... [img]/club2/attach/tacey/101_0118.jpg[/img] Tacey
now that is quite the perty lawn!8D