Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is a Simplicity 2 piece deck?

Les

Don't know if that's what he's talking about for sure, but the very earliest decks were made of two pieces of metal and bolted together in line with the center arbor. All the early 42" decks for Simp 700/725 and B-1's were this way. I'm not sure exactly when they changed, but here's a picture from 1962 that shows how they bolted together down the center of the deck... They appear to be the same through 1966, at least. Later ones don't have the two rows of bolts and reinforcing band down the center. http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1962/mower.jpg

I don't think they're rare enough to make them any more valuable than any other solid, usable deck. But, I don't really know. I personally don't like them since the ends of the pulley covers are open and allow clippings and gunk to get in there...

I have a 63 Landlord that i was told was all original, and it has the newer one piece deck. Happyjack should know as he has a few of these tractors too.

The pictured deck is like the one that came with my AC B-1. It is in fact a 3 piece deck and bolted together. The bad news is the bolted construction and joints collect grass clippings and tend to accelerate rust. The good thing is they were originally 1/8" steel which is build like a tank. The last time I overhauled the deck I used Dow Corning RTV to fill in the joints and fill the "square corners" to lessen accumulation of wet grass. Has worked well for many years. The new one piece decks do not collect clippings due to no joints and rounded corners. How thick they are and how long they last is something I don't know. Roy

We have a very sound one of these decks for sale if anyone is interested.$295 & can UPS. Reply by e mail