Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
BLT

Kohler KT 17 engine

BLT
Does anybody have a footprint drawing of the above? I got a Deutz - Allis 917 today less engine and was going to put my 18 HP twin OP Briggs. Then I decided that more work then I wanted to mess with. I now am giving thought to my spare 16 HP Briggs. Not having that two extra HP insn't going to screw my evening nap. I just want to be sure that the KT has a 6.59" mounting dimension from the bottom of the mount to the centerline of the crank. If that is the case, I can then hum along with my 16HP.

Ronald Hribar
This should be same tractor as the 916. which is the same as others in series. So everything should bolt up. But the Briggs has a different type of ignition sytem then the K17. Glad to hear that the tractor made it's way home safely.

PhanDad
My 17GTHL had a KT17 in it. Installed a 16HP Briggs, Centerline of crank was the same, frame even had predrilled bolt holes for the Briggs. BUT driveshaft length is different and as Ron stated, the wiring is different.

BLT
I have a 7116 here. DOH!!! Engine is bolted in. There are some detail items to work out. Wiring don't phase me to bad. I know what I face. In no hurry to get it running. Got home safely and needs another pressure wash. Pictures can be deceiving. Thanks BT

dirtsaver
Bob I have a 17GTH-L with the KT17 series II. It's a good tractor but if I was replacing the original engine I'd go with a Briggs 16 cast iron single. I think they have a bunch more power and torque than the Kohler KT17 or the Briggs18 twin either. Easier to work on too! Maybe it's just me but given the choice between a cast iron single Briggs and any brand of twin, I'll take the old single every time.