Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
msiebern

B&S Points are shocking!

msiebern
There has been several posts regarding points and condensers in here lately. My B-110 lost fire, so I figured it was time to change the points and condenser to see if I could bring it back to life. Checked with the local Simplicity dealer - don't stock anymore, has to order. Points $20.97 - condenser $9.78. Checked with JD dealer who carries a lot of B&S parts. Not is stock - points $21.24 - condenser $9.97. Checked with NAPA - again not in stock but can have next day. points - $14.78 - condenser $4.97! The double shocker was no one stocking these items anymore and the price differance between NAPA and the OEM guys. Guess I'll have to lay in a supply with 5 of these old cast iron B&S here on the ranch.

UCD
All of the dealers here Simplicity, Briggs, Auto parts stores (6 in town) all carry points and condenser. I just bought a complete setup from Simplicity dealer. Points 298185 $20.20 Condenser 298060 $6.05 Cover gasket 692913 $1.65 Terminal block 66895 $1.25 Fuel shut off $4.95 $34.1 less 10% $3.41 = $30.69

Tom_Byrne
I just paid 19.99 for points and 8.99 for a condenser from a local dealer, no one else stocked them except him. And I got the last ones on the shelf! Parts man told me they have been talking people into changing over to electronic for years, so there is not much need to stock them. As for the price, I guess it's " Do you want or don't you?"

MikeG
I was just told Briggs no longer specifys point and condensors for these models. I was quoted $40.00 for the electronic replacement. I figured that was way out of line and ordered the Mega-Fire II from Jack's Small Engine, total cost $22.00 with shipping. May be able to get it slightly cheaper on E-Bay but I wanted to go with one of our sponsers.