Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MPH

725 and Some fall plowing

MPH
The barley/hairyvetch I planted 4th of july weekend took a likein to all the rain I guess, was over waist high, but my footdragging 725 rolled it over in second gear WOT.

Job well done

After fighting with some blocking up problems with stuff getting bunched up on the arm I set it plow less then the 7 inches I was plowing, guessing about 5, worked a lot better, so guess I'll say I learned not to plow tall thick greens too deep.

PatRarick
David Plowing in a green crop enriches the soil. The vegetation rots in the soil and has much the same effect as compost. It adds nutrients and increases the "tilth", lightening the soil so it's easier to work to create a good seedbed for garden, lawn, or whatever you choose to grow on that land. The plow down crop is called "green manure". I have two vegetable gardens and alternate each year. One is planted into wheat and/or barley. When it begins to "head out" (produce seed), I plow it under. After a week, I till it and plant beans. Beans provide nitrogen to the soil. When they start to bloom in the fall, I plow them under and that becomes my vegetable garden the next year. When I vacuum my leaves in the fall, they are spread on the old garden and plowed under. Pat

carbuff713
Pat - Thank you for the explanation. I had heard of planting winter crops such as rye to plow in but not a summertime crop like MPH did. Marty – Great pictures. I guess the bar tires and wheel weights really make a difference. It is amazing what you can do with the 725. I pull a small disc with my Simplicity Legacy to work my garden. The disc is a small old drag type unit I bought at auction for $7 – it works well. When I use it I have my wife drive the tractor while I stand on the disc. If she has to back up I lift it up and walk it backwards or disconnect it. I would like to add a sleeve hitch and use the hydraulics on the Legacy to lift and lower it. My Legacy has a heavy-duty bracket (hitch) on the back that came with the grass catcher. Has anyone tried to attach a sleeve hitch to a Legacy grass catcher bracket??

MPH
" you have way to much fun up there in alasaka." some cowboy sang a song about "there's no such thing as too much fun" must admitt, plowing down 42inch tall barley with the 725 challeges that statement:) No close seconds for me as far as fun things to do with these old tractors.

msiebern
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
No close seconds for me as far as fun things to do with these old tractors.
Marty... Do you still have the original 7 1/4 H.P. Briggs in it? Glad to see your posts. Have missed your Alaskan contibutions since you've been so busy!