Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DaleC

DaleC
There is a 4041 for sale in a Lexington, Ky. paper. I've not seen it but it comes with a 60" mower. Asking 2500. Is it worth it if in decent shape? Dalec

powermax_paul
Yes, I think it's a fair price depending upon how well it runs, and what it has for options. Usually only minor adjustments will get the Onan motor running smooth. One major thing is the hydrostatic unit. In first or second gear range & medium throttle, the tractor should jump off the line pretty good. Operating the hydrostatic drive lever rapidly, you should hear a sort of buzz. That is normal operation of acceleration relief valves in the HSU. Drive the tractor at medium throttle and in 2nd or third range. Operate the hydraulic implement lever(s). If it affects the speed of the tractor considerably (and it will affect the speed), the HSU may need some work. If you buy it, contact me if you have any questions. You should clean up the heads before using unleaded gasoline in the tractor.

JeffG
Most likely it is an excellent price. It seems like the going price for these things in good/very good condition w/ deck is 3-4K+. However, as Paul mentioned, it all depends on many mechanical factors. The engine is (obviously) the biggest concern. What's the compression? Has it been stored inside? Well maintained? I've found the best way to check out a hydrostat pump (in addition to what Paul mentioned) is to back the tractor up a steep bank. This will tell you if it is working well. Hows the charging system? Wiring? Steering? Leaks? etc., etc. Does it have a rear PTO and 3-point hitch? These are excellent, well built tractors, and will work hard for many years. Another thing is to consider the price of Deere and Kubota compacts (high $$$). Personally, I'd much rather have a Pow'r Max than either of those. Just my opinion. Good luck. JeffG