Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MikeG

How far should I go?

MikeG
Pulled the motor on the Landlord today because I'm having problems with getting a consistant spark. Even with the Mega-fire electronic trigger, it comes and goes. Will be looking at the coil and wires under the shroud and checking everything. I don't think that the engine has ever been removed frome this tractor. My question is should I start to restore this machine, it was always a good strong runner and is in pretty good shape or just fix it and leave it as is?

Tacey
I just clean and touch-up paint on my tractors. Since I use all of 'em, they get re-scratched pretty quickly, anyways. Some guys have lots of energy, and can't resist a full-on resto. Many collectors like to "cherry 'em out". I'd love to re-do mine, but that's w-a-y too time consuming. For your Landlord, I'll bet if you just give it a good pressure-wash, de-greasing, and a little paint would go a long way. Let us know how it turns out, and Good Luck. Tacey

MPH
My problem always seems to be when I go to fix something, well, while that part is out, may as well clean up this rustting area, normally like under the battery, then it grows to here and there and pretty soon there are no bolts left in the tractor. Guess if you feel like "owe" it a thankyou for good service, make it all pretty, but that don't make 'em work any harder

Ketchamized
I agree with Tacey, just clean it up, pretty it up. Factory paint is usually more durable than restoration paint. I'd just clean it up really good, replace any damaged bolts, remove rust, repaint the rims... But leave the frame alone. Just clean it... The engine, on the other hand, since it's not running right, I'd go for a full engine restore. Just my opinion...

firefoxz1
I would just do the touch-up around where the engine sit and maybe the grill while that's off. I started a full resto.. almost a year ago and it is slow going squeezing it in between everything else I have to do.

MikeG
I found the problem and it was the small wire from the coil. The insulation was rubbed off and grounding to the coil frame. Next will pull the head to clean the carbon and check everything out. Have decided to paint the engine and clean up the rest of the tractor, it is my plow tractor and winter will be here before too long.