Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
swede

Simplicity Shotgun

swede
I was out mowing with my P'Max yesterday and all was well for an hour or so, then something happened. It suddenly lost power and began backfiring. I thought I saw something shoot out of the exhaust pipe and land in the grass, but I couldn't find it. My black lab was pretty excited thinking it was time to go hunting, with the tractor sounding like a gun, but Louie the Beagle ran and hid under my trailer.(I was kind of impressed on how loud it was popping!!) It seemed to really backfire when reved up or under load. Once it cooled down, I checked for spark and compression and both were fine. I would think backfiring would be a timing issue, but would that suddenly change?? I haven't checked the timing yet. It still backfired with a cold engine. Any ideas? I have no idea what shot out of the muffler, perhaps a chunk of carbon??

JP
What did the plugs look like? Air filter? My first though would be timing... My guess on the 'projectile' (LOL) would be a hunk of carbon or internal muffler part. It can get pretty hot & 'explosive in there! If you're looking in the points box, see if there's a lot of wear in the plunger. Is there any oil in the points box? JP

swede
The plugs looked good and the air filter was new this spring. I haven't had any time to look farther, but I think you are right about suspecting the points. I don't think it's a wear issue since it suddenly happened and was fine before. Hopefully this weekend I can tear into it.