Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is Slime For Tires Good or What???

LesH

I have had several flats from barbs and nails and finally started using Fix A Flat.....no good, did not work. Next I reluctantly tried Slime on a different tire......it worked fine!!! Just like they said. I will limit the use just to my garden tractor tires, not my truck... Anyone else's experiences???

I have never used the stuff but my father-in-law swears by the stuff..I personaly don't like filling tires with these types of things..Just makes for a huge mess when its time to change a tire..I have been using tire plugs with good results..Most times I have been able to plug it right on the tractor and be back to work within about 3-4 min.

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
I have been using tire plugs with good results..
I accually have two tires filled with washer fluid with a plug in each. One truf and one AG Elon

I have heard from people that fix-a-flat will actually cause the inside of the rim to rust and rot. I personally use slime. Its great. I have used it in my dirt bike tires, my simplicity's tires, and my dad has used it in his backhoe tires, all without any problems

I dont know what brand of tire flat fixer it is but I get wheels with green goo in them on old tractors all the time and you might as well kiss the rims goodbye after putting that stuff in them. Almost as bad as calcium chloride on bare painted steel.....

Fix-a-flat will eat the rims. I put some in new tires that were mounted on new rims. They were on a pulling tractor and were leaking around the bead. One year later, when I broke the tire down to put in tubes, I found that the rim was severely rusted. I would not use Fix-a-flat unless it was an emergency. I have used another sealing compound similar to Slime, and it did not have any adverse effects on the wheels. Simplicity, at one time sold a powder type tire sealer. It came in a tube that fit a caulking gun. I was given a tube at one time, but never used it. I think that one of those tubes was supposed to protect a front tire, and it took about three tubes for a rear tire.

I have used Fix-A-Flat on ATVs in the past. I would reccomend only in an emergency as it can knock the tire off ballance and can make a mess inside the tire. Both times I used it it was an emergency and I was glad to have it as it got me home but when I had a flat at home I would used a plug instead.

Just last year i put slime in my truck tire that had a slow leak no one seemed to be able to find. it fixed the leak, but threw the tire out of balance so bad i couldn't go over 50 mph. in the past i had put it in quad tires that were full of thorns and never had another leak. i'll stick to using it on off road stuff

We use a lot of "Slime" at our shop for garden tractors and yard trailers but nothing "on-road". In two years I haven't seen any ill effects on rims. It does a goosd job but I will qualify that by saying if the tire can be plugged I'd rather do that,but if the tire has a lot of thorns or pinhole leaks is when we reach for the "Slime". Also take note that "Slime" is not a 100% fix. I have seen some tires it just would not seal. Some of our customers swear by it to the point they request it in the tires on a new mower before we deliver the mower.

quote:
Originally posted by dirtsaver
Some of our customers swear by it to the point they request it in the tires on a new mower before we deliver the mower.
No that's giving new meaning to the phrase 'preventative maintenance.' Man, I thought I was being lazy by blowing off cleaning my mower deck after mowing a couple times.

The 2 year tire on my ATV was leaking air around the lettering on the side wall.I used slime two months ago and no problem so far.