Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord 2012

Brian313

Being new to this sight I'm still finding new things everyday, but I haven't seen many parts or pictures for a 2012 landlord. Was this tractor not very popular? It looks like it was only made for 1 year?

Brian, As far as parts go, these tractors are so standardized that parts will interchange over a wide range of tractors. I don't think you would have any problem with getting parts for this tractor.

Brian, Welcome to the club. I thought the same thing when I started visiting this site as I also have a 2012. Rod is absolutely correct though, you can easily find parts for your tractor. Now, if I could just get a deal on a 370 Weed Cutter I would be very happy. Mike

Mike, I have a working b-10 and enough parts to make 1 more, I have the original grill, seat assembly and engine off the 2012. Other than the size of the front tires is there any other major differences in the two?

Brian, as you travel the site the details of the history on your 2012 will become more clear. The 2012 model is the sister of the Allis B-12 and had all the features available for the rounded hood tractors. The round hood versioned tractors having evolved through several models with certain changes by model # basically were all interchangeable. The later being the higher 12HP model which you have. After this style tractor they went to the flat hooded tractors. Basically the same frame but different sheet metal and again some minor mech. changes as well as the introduction of variable and hydrostatic transmissions. As for the production year being short, they only offered the 12 HP engine for a short time until going to the flat hood so models sold were lower than other models but the popularity was way up there in sales. These are great tractors and fairly desired with the extra HP. Enjoy it as it will give you years more enjoyment once you have mastered the mechanics of mid 60's technology.

Bryan, My son recently picked up a 64 Landlord. It was missing the hood and fenders. I mounted a set of later model fenders on it and cut down a hood from an AC410 to fit the Landlord. It looks a little different than it did from the factory, but it is a real worker and he is very happy with it. Mike, I am also looking for one of those weedcutters, as are about 75% of the members. After seeing that sappling that Marty cut with the weedcutter, I want one even more. Like my sicklebar mower, I gotta get one, even though I have no real need for it. LOL

Brian, Differences between the Allis and Simplicities are mainly the Grill and Seat. My 2012 has the narrow front tires, but I guess they made some with the wider ones also. From this site I have also learned that the 12HP in the 2012 or B12 is the same block as the 16HP single cylinder. The only difference is the Piston/Bore size. I am considering rebuilding my engine, I may go to the 16 HP. Mike

Mike, The 12 hp I have has been bored probably to a 14 hp, but the problem was after putting a fresh engine (with more horespower) on the tractor things like the rear end soon went out. Not sure if it was the engine or older worn parts but it might be something to consider before beefing it up to much.

Brian, That's definitely something to think about. I have been kicking the idea back and forth. One half of me says more power must be better. The other half says, I haven't run out of power yet with my semi whipped 12 horse. I imagine going to a 14 or 16 horse will use more gas...... Who knows. I bought a NOS 10" Moldboard plow this spring and used it to plow up a new corn patch, about a half acre. This ground has not been touched in 12+ years and my tractor and plow never missed a beat. I also have a 36" snow blower that I use every winter on my 500 foot driveway, again haven't missed a beat even going thru drifts that are taller than the blower. We'll see. Mike

Going from 12 to 16 horsepower will not hurt the tractor itself. The same trannys are used in both. I heard somewhere that the Simplicity trannys were designed to handle upwards of 50 Hp. I know that I have run 20+ Hp thru a 1961 3-speed with no adverse affects.

More power is always better IMO.lol But the real thing to think about is what your useing the tractor for. Do you mow or run a snow blower? these would be the biggest users of any extra needed power and that's only if you push it real hard. I repowered my HB212 with a 16 and made a rocket of a mower out of it. But I push my tractors pretty hard also. You needs and results may be different. Also the wide front tires were factory standard on the 2012/B-12's. But the narrow tires are interchangeable on the spindles.

I'm sure theres a fine line between hard use and mild abuse. Not sure where mine would fall, probably both, but the extra power is nice when everything is working. I think I found all the parts I need for the 2012 except for the wide front rims. But I've only been looking a couple days now. I wish I had the time and patience to a total restoration, some of the pics on here have some really great tractors. But mine are working tractors so fixing up will have to work. It's really amazing the info and resources avaliable on here.