Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax PTO shaft question

TBOLT

I bought a 620 today. The guy bought it new in 76 and has only cut grass with it , 900 hrs. real good shape but he said a rat or something chewed the rear pto clutch wires into so he just took out the whole shaft since he didn't use it anyhow. He took it out from the rear PTO clutch to the yoke that connects to the engine. 1-Can those clutches be taken apart and the wires replaced 2- Why is the shaft bigger for the 620 than the 616? Is the PTO more powerful? I realize they are both 2000 rpm but seems like the flex plate would break before the shaft gave trouble or is it just some are big and some are small?

JP probably has the most experiance on repairing these style coils. He can remove the old epoxy by the old method of slowly chipping it away, resoldering the wires to the coil and re-epoxying the coil. This ussualy takes some patience. But it can be done. As far as the differances in the PTO styles, it's easier to balance a hollow shaft with 2 bearing points than a solid shaft with 3 bearings. They went to the late model shafts after the 616/4040 and had what seems to be a lot better service life. Thery used the same coil and delivered the same power flow. The flex plates can take a tremendous flow of power as long as the angle of deflextion isn't but a few degrees. Bottom line I see on these rear pto's is they MUST be dialed in correctly so they balance and the splines need to be kept clean of debris and greased so they don't wear. If they wear they will eventually strip out rendering the shaft useless. They too can be repaired but that's a costly problem.