Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need some help. Going to look at a Allis-Chalmers

I will tell you what works ideal for the kids, and that is a A.C. 710 3-speed w/42" deck. I have one for of each for my two boys. They work great for two reasons. One ) I like them to start on a gear drive with a definitave BRAKE. Two) If their legs are not quite long enough all you have to do is get a second brake pedal with plastic bushings and mount it in the shuttle control hole, drill a hole on the top inside of each pedal, and tie the two pedals together with a rod and cotter pins. It works for us.

I am trying to find a garden tractor for my 13 year old grandson. I called about a Allis Chalmers Model 616. The person said it had a new briggs twin engine in it. A 48 mowing deck and is asking 650.00 for it. I read your discussion board for many hours last night and know a little more than I did before. I am guessing that the 616 was made in 1973 and 1974 and that came with either a Onan or a briggs. He said this one has standard transmission. The price seems low for a tractor with a new engine, but I haven't seen the tractor yet. Going to look at it in about i hour. Any and all information about the 616 would be much appreciated. Thank You

It must be like the smaller 608/611 series lawn tractor. I know there was a Deutz-Allis 616 that was one of these with a 16HP vertical shaft Briggs twin.... Here's a link to the Deutz in the Gallery....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/deutz.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/deutz.htm[/a]

I agree with Note # 3 from Guest. The 616, 620, 720 are great tractors but the hydro tranny can be tricky and the brake will stop the hydro only if you stand on it. With the 710 manual trans (or any of that series) when one pushes in the clutch it both disengages the power, and pushed further engages the brake. This works out to be a nice safety feature for young operators (or us old guys / gals too). It is simple and safe - less likely to put a tractor thru the garage door and hurt something or someone.

I agree, unless they are older and more expierenced. I have been driving my B-10 early since I was 3 and I am 15 now. Really, just put some sort of limiter on there if they are younger and using the hydro, the older garden tractors were fast and can zip along and get away from you, also mount a kill switch, that way if they panic they can hit the kill switch. Make sure you tell them how to operate the machine clearly and watch them at first. It will be a benifet for all. Garden tractors are to be a fun hobby, not a deadly one. Good luck to you and have a fun and safe expierence! -BradW

Thanks Kent. You were right. It is a 616 special, small lawn tractor. I will keep looking for a garden type 616 or 620 or larger. Thanks again.

Just my 2 cents worth, Have a Simplicity 6216 which is simmilar to the 616 Special. Great tractor for mowing and general yard work, and with the manual trans all you need to do is swap the rear pully to a smaller one and it will run about 20 MPH in 3rd. Lawn mower and Go cart in one. Would recommend a teathered kill switch from a snowmobile if you do the go fast mod.

If your go with a small pulley on the transaxle it will go faster in all gears including reverse. You will be changing the overall gear ratio. Simplicity did offer a larger transaxle pulley to slow the tractor down for tilling.