Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Couple of questions

Scott Salmons

Since I got the pto mount blower system I had to pick a tractor for the job. I have a nice B-112 with a broken rod, I also recently got a 2012 basket case with a supposedly rebuilt motor. Should I be able to get a slight spark just turning the motor over by hand? I thought before I switched motors I would take off the front shroud and sand the flywheel mags as well as the coil. I still dont get any spark ( the motor is on the bench not in the tractor). The points are opening. Another question about bore size, what is the bore dia. on a 12 hp. The guy I got it from swore that when he bought a new piston the 12hp fell through he returned to the dealer and the dealer told him that Simplicity did put some 16hp motors in the 2012. I think it was just a mix up because the mod. no. is 30. Thanks Scott

With the point type system, you should be able to get spark turning the engine by hand. The faster you can turn it the better. I don't usually spin these engines. I turn them to the compression stroke, where the points start to open. Turn it backwards until the points close and with the spark plug removed, quickly rock the flywheel back and forth so the flywheel magnets quickly pass the ignition armature. You should have spark on every clockwise pass of the magnets. If you have little or no spark, I would start by cleaning and setting the points. The 2012 came only with a 12 horsepower engine. It should have a bore of 3 7/16. The 32 cu. in. engine has a bore of 3 9/16, but is otherwise the same engine. It's possible that the original engine was bored .010, .020. or .030 oversize at one time. A .030 overbore would make the standard piston fairly sloppy. If that's the case, the top of the piston will be stamped with the corresponding overbore size. If you have the larger, 3 9/16" bore, the engine was most likely replaced at one time using the 30 cu. in. sheet metal, or the tractor was repaired with a 32 cu.in short block. Pat

scott I found this on the briggs website, http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=67479 there is tons of other trouble shooting imfo on there also look under maitanance

Oh yea and the bore is 3 9/16" it must have been bored at some point. From what I have read about the pto driven vac the extra power will help. I also will use a 42" deck with Gators.