Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis B-12 information needed

wminmi

Afternoon all ~ Picked up a B-12 a few weekends ago, with the intentions of restoring it. Not a full on restore, but more of a "clean, paint & make work" restore. For what it's worth, the B will be replacing a brand new Craftsman LT2000. The craftsman is a nice mower, but i have a soft spot for older machinery lol. My questions are: 1. How do i find out what year this B-12 was built? 2. Where can i find a parts list for this tractor? 3. What Simplicity tractors are interchangeable with this one? 4. What color spray paint would closely match the original beige/cream color? 5. On the Simple site, it keeps asking me for a manufacturing number. What number is that? I've typed in B-12, the serial number and model number and can't get it to bring up anything! Anywhos, thanx to anybody that can help me with this.

On the main page in right corner in the Search for Manuals at Simplicity Mfg.in the MFG NO: Box type this number 2025071 or use the simplicity number 990399 for the equivilent model 2012 to download the manuals.

wminmi, Welcome! This site is full of A LOT of information, and the users here are very knowledgeable. Membership to this forum is $10.00 per year- it opens up to so much more information. :) Your questions- 1)1966. http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/1966_cat/b-10_specs.htm http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/1966_cat/b-12.htm For the B-12 main page: http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/1966_cat/b-10_%26_b-12.htm The links for further information for the implements and etc are on the left side column. For Simpletractors main page: http://www.simpletractors.com 2)Parts list- This is the search engine for it: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start You'll have to search various numbers. Start with these numbers: 990400 990399 2025071 2025072 They're for the Simplicity sister tractors. Exactly the same tractor. Different color, different name, & different seat/hood. Everything else, the same. 3)Interchangeability- AC B-10, B-12, Big Ten. Simplicity sister tractors: Simplicity Landlord 2012. 4)Spray paint to match the color- on top of the pages of this site has a search bar. Type in 'paint colors'. There've been a lot of threads on this topic, and you'll have to choose what paint to use based on what you read. 5) See this page: http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/ac_s_pg1.htm The manufacturing number of your B-12 is either 2025071 or 2025072 The manufacturing number of sister Simplicity: 990399 or 990400 Good luck!

WOW Thanx for all the information!! And yes, i just snail mailed the $10 fee this morning. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to become a full member as i'm dyin to see what's in the "members only" section LOL I spose i should have done a newbie "hello" intriductory type of post....but i simply forgot. Been here a week or so now browsing around, just hit the "new thread" button and went to town. I'll do a "hwody" post here in a few after i re-wake up. My 4 year old & I fell asleep on the couch about an hour and a half ago, now i feel like i've got jet-lag B) Anywhos, thanx again for all the information! I'll be burning the midnight oil browsing through everything i can find :D

South Haven,Michigan,just a fer piece up the road from me!Welcome!! If the tractor has the original engine in it,you can use the date code on the engine to get close to a manufacturing date. Best way to assure a color match,is to find an unfaded piece on the tractor,and have it matched at a paint store.

Wmini, You're most welcome. Oh btw, forgot to mention that the rear transmission varies in some models a little in terms of having two different transmission systems- a high/low, and a Vari-Shift. With high/low, you have 6 different speeds- 1 high, 1 low, 2 high, 2 low, 3 high, 3 low. With a Vari-shift, you have 21 speeds, I believe. Also, the front gear box is different- the ones that goes on a high/low system has a shorter drive shaft. The shaft that goes on a Vari-Shift is longer. To tell the difference, the both front and rear pulleys (located on right side of tractor, under the right fender) on a Vari-Shift system- closes and opens like a snowmobile pulley. (Uses approx. 1" wide belt too) Whereas with a regular high/low system, the pulley is fixed, like a regular pulley. (Uses regular width belt) Which system do you have? I would suspect the high/low... Everything else is more or less interchangeable.

thanx for the warm welcomes! Hmm, i take it there are a few members from Michigan!! That's a nice change, as when i was into Bolens, most of the members i could find were out west or down south. Nothing wrong with either place, just nice to know there are some fellows close by :) As for my transmission, i don't have the vari-drive, just a regular ordinary everyday gearbox/drive. Speaking of which, did all the non vari-drives have a hi-lo? Reason i ask is i have the "sticker" saying hi-lo, but don't see how it could be as i have only 3 pulleys on the drive side. Well, 1 pulley on the rear end, 1 idler/tensioner pulley, and then 1 pulley up front on the transmission. Tinkered with the tractor tonight for a few.....got the mowing deck off, got the spindles freed up, then mounted the snowplow. Guess i'm in a hurry for winter LOL Here's a tech question for you guys: when taking the carburator apart, there's only 4 bolts holding the float bowl to the body correct? May seem like a stupid question, but i can't seem to get the darn thing apart to clean her out. If i pour gas down the carb she runs great, but can't get gas to flow through the carb. And yes, the tank & lines are clear.....that's the 1st thing i checked! Oh yeah, someone asked if i had the original engine, and that would be a yes! I do however have a 16hp briggs i thought of putting in there, but the 12 seems to run really well (no smoke/knocks) so i'll probably keep that in there until it dies.

I believe you must also take the jet (imulsion?) tube out as this goes up through the bowl, hopefully you haven't hurt it.

All the decal kits for these tractors came with a HI-LOW decal and the HI-LOW was an option so the decal ussually got put on it during a repaint sometime. As for the carb, Thomas is correct. You must remove the needle assembly from the bottom of the bowl and you'll see a slotted brass jet tube going up through the lower body into the upper body. BE CAREFULL, if there is a lot of build up in the threads it will be difficult to remove this without the perfect sized screw driver and the threads somewhat clean.

wminmi, I'm not sure if all non-vari drive tractors had high/low. It might have been an option at that time before the vari-shift came out. Others like UCD would know the answer to that question. With tractors that has the high/low system, there is a knob that is very close to the right rear fender. That knob is the high/low. Also, on the rear transmission, you'd see a lot of metal covering the rear pulley. It looks like a braking system of some kind.. If it's just a bare pulley there, then your tractor didn't come with hi/low. It's possible... Your B-12 is one of the earlier tractors of the B series. My tractor is a later model, made closer to 68, 69 while yours were in the mid 60's ('66). I'm sure others will chime in with more information. :)