Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Simpleton7016

Bolt patterns and bearing seats - old style arbors

Simpleton7016
Here are a couple of arbors I have stripped down and dipped in an electroysis tank. In the pictures below, there is a fresh coat of rust converter applied and they are not yet painted. But notice the bolt patterns are different. Does it make a lick of difference which variation I use on the 48 inch deck (1690021)? I could even use carriage bolts to hold in the one on the left. I am thinking that with only 3 carriage bolts (with rounded heads), there may be less 'drag' inside the deck and might help optimize the discharge and suction of my vac unit. Thoughts?

One other difference is an apparent seat for the top bearing in the "3 bolt" arbor. Is this preferrable? Does anyone have a preference or a list of pros and cons of the two styles? Thanks in advance, Erik