Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Simpleton7016

Spindle variations - old style

Simpleton7016
I noticed the diferences in the bases of these oldstyle spindles....some are rounded and some are square. Anyone know the reason for the differences or if one is preferable? I imagine the rounded off ones reduce drag, but it is probably negligible.

Thanks in advance, Erik

MrSteele
Most likely, it is a simple change in the amount of cost to the manufacturer. The die stamp for the square corner is far cheaper than the rounded corners. A die would not be required for the square corner, but would for the rounded corner, reducing cost of manufacturing. Price to us, however, may stay the same. Looks simply like a cost cutting measure to keep prices down to consumers.

Simpleton7016
Thanks for the explanation Joe. I had no idea about the die casts, but it makes perfect sense. Just in the knick of time too, cuz I like to learn something new everyday....it is almost midnight and I was worried I wouldn't learn anything today. You made my day complete! :)