Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spindle variations - old style

Simpleton7016

I noticed the diferences in the bases of these oldstyle spindles....some are rounded and some are square. Anyone know the reason for the differences or if one is preferable? I imagine the rounded off ones reduce drag, but it is probably negligible.

Thanks in advance, Erik

Most likely, it is a simple change in the amount of cost to the manufacturer. The die stamp for the square corner is far cheaper than the rounded corners. A die would not be required for the square corner, but would for the rounded corner, reducing cost of manufacturing. Price to us, however, may stay the same. Looks simply like a cost cutting measure to keep prices down to consumers.

Thanks for the explanation Joe. I had no idea about the die casts, but it makes perfect sense. Just in the knick of time too, cuz I like to learn something new everyday....it is almost midnight and I was worried I wouldn't learn anything today. You made my day complete! :)