Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler CV Vertical shaft Single Cylinder FYI

SmilinSam

In a earlier thread I asked for the spec information on Kohler CV single cylder engines suspecting that the spec were the same and that Carb differences were all that was really different between th 9 hp , 12.5hp and 15hp and all in between. I found that the specs were the same for 11-15hp according to the kohler sheets I was given links to. The 9 hp was not listed though. As it is I have a 9hp C that I was experimenting with. What I did was install the 9hp in a WHeel Horse 270 Hydro with a 48" deck on it. I then took and replace all the carb linkage with that which was on a semi deceased 12.5hp CV , then adjusted the rpms to 3600. The results werre quite impressive last night. Ran driving the Hydro while mowing wet thick tall grass, and never had any trouble with the engine pulling all the load it was asked to pull. Power was better than the 14hp M series cast iron kohler that was on my old 314 Wheel Horse I used to have, so it must be putting out at least 14-15hp....from an engine previously labeled a 9hp unit. This 9 was originally on a John Deere STX 30. For anyone wanting to eek out more HP from one of these, the original throttle linkage plate needs to be swapped out for one like a 12.5 uses. The 9hp one is a fixed top end speed setup and has no adjustments and the top speed is quite subdued. Throttle and choke are on a single cable control. The 12.5 I used was on a Cub 1320 and uses a two cable control setup for choke and throttle and the throttle has an adjustable top speed limiting screw and nut. The only thing that took alot of effort was building a new muffler to fit into the tractor it was going into. This is where the extra exaust flanges I got from Al Eden came in quite handy. Just passing some findings along. No promises, no gaurentees, just my own unique experience;)

PS.. When I go used engine shopping for Vertical shaft engines I generally look at Cub Cadet and Craftsman lawn tractors. Lots of those show up on the consignment sales and sell fairly cheap when compared to buying a used running engine alone.Many have junk trannies or decks but still run good.