Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MarksA-C

Striped turn gear (Where to get a replacment)

MarksA-C
I got the new govener spring and put it on today and the engine is finally running correctly. So I decided to take for a spin. Well, didnt go as planned. I didnt even get out of the driveway when I heard a faint Ping, like the nut and washer that holds the streering wheel column in place hitting the conctrete. I desided to take a looksy at what was wrong and I noticed that the gear was badly striped. It is conected to the steering shaft with a U-joint. Where can I go to get a new one? Mabey one with a longer threaded section on the bottom so I can fit a lock nut. And is there a way to make it turn easyer? I cant turn my tractor unless its in motion, is that normal? Lastly, is it posible to swap the turning pieces I have on my Older 610Lt with a steering column from a Simplicity 4212? Thank you. Mark

Mick14
I'm not familiar with your model tractor,but on my broadmoor i added nylon washers to every bearing surface in the steering system,also used new nuts and bolts [S.S.] ,a little marine grease and she now steers very easy and smooth.

Simpleton7016
I have a 7016 parts tractor that Bob (BLT) and I are going to tear apart. The steering column and gears appear to function fine. I do not know if it will fit yours or can be modified, but you can have dibs on them for free. You will have to tear it off yourself though cuz there is no way on Gods green earth that my wife will let me take the time to do it without charging you. :) Free if you tear it off yourself....but first I would check with the experts here to see if they are compatible! Anyone?

RayS
What tractor do you have and what is the manufacture number? Have you checked this link to see what is equivelent to yours? http://simpletractors.com/Main/x-ref_table.htm You can take the manufacture number and download the parts manual from the Simplicity site. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php Once you get the part manual you can go to jack`s website and see if it is still available. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb.cfm