Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216/6218(shredded) deck belt question

sunrunner

While cutting my lawn today my deck belt shredded...after about an hour into it. No vibration - all pulleys spin freely - spindles are good - only thing I see is that the PTO stop might be alittle tight when it is in the run position - but nothing different from this and last years mowing? Went quick too - no sticks or debris - Thanks Chris Oh yea - If anyone has a 6200 series make sure the foam piece that sticks to the top of the engine by the fan screen is in place - Much better air flow through the engine :)

Chris, I had this happen to mine in the spring. i found nothing wrong to cause it got a new belt from sandylake equipment, put it on the deck set everything according to the owners manual and it has worked fine since. the only thing i can figure is the pto adjustment was off from the belt stretching

Make sure you you check the stud or post that the pto take up pulley swivels on for partial movement. Then tend to rust up and you get a false sense of security that the belt is being tightened and it is not.

Thanks for the ideas - Going to do a full ajustment per the manual when the belt(s), bought 3 , arrive - not sure if I ever replaced this one? The wife could not understand why I had 3 of everything(x-tra deck,tractors and other stuff) around but notthat belt - Well I fixed that - Chris

Hi, On all of the 4000-6000 tractors with the belt tightening mower engage drives, if the belt guides on the engine for the mower belt are not set close enough, the belts will rub on the front of the pulley and "burn" the belt. This wil cause the belt prematurely fail. When the mower is engaged the belts are drawn tight around the pulley, and the guides should be less than 1/8" from the pulley. When the belt tension is released, the belt spings out again the guides and this keeps the belt away. You can see this effect by placing a belt on a table and then you can see how it tends to want to be in a large circle. Now take the belt and squeeze the belt to together and you can see how the center will move. This is why the guides are put on the units. The same thing happens with gear shift tractors when the guides aren't set tight and the gears grind when shifting. Also take Bob's (BLT) and remove the pivot arm and clean and lube the sleeve the arm pivots on. They need this yearly. Al Eden