Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'm back

Smokey

Hey guys and girls It's been awhile and everyone for sure has forgotten me. So let's start over. I'm Randy and I own a 1978 7016 Hydro with alot of attachments and accessories. I first came here in the fall of last year with a question about my tractor's towing capacity (jog anyone's memory?) So what's happened with me? Not to make excuses,BUT, since then I have relocated, my computer took a dump and I have successfully rebuilt the motor in my 7016 (16 hp B&S) That's what I want to talk about. No questions, just encouragement. The motor was OK but used a little oil. It started out as just an engine removal and cleaning (22 yrs and the motor has'nt ever been deep cleaned) as I got into it I kept finding worn out parts and replacing as I went. Soon I thought REBUILD. So I did. What a pleasurable experience. Really. I HAD FUN. Since then, 92 hours ago (that's run time) I have had no trouble and no oil consumption. What a success. No, I'm not a small engine mechanic, but if you have a small engine repair manual, good shop practice, a few tools and patience anyone can do it. So, anyone considering a rebuild? GO FOR IT!! Glad to be back!

Hey Jeff! I'm glad you responded. I was going to ask about those points/condensors. I heard B&S would re-polarize your flywheel so it would be solid state. What's the details on that, i.e. cost, how-to, advantages/disadvantages and so on? As far as the rings go, according to the manual dimensions, the bore was still in its tolerable specification. So I just busted the glaze and installed a new conn rod, wrist pin, piston and rings. Torqued everything up and let her do her thing. When I hear from you about the flywheel job I will tell ya about the coil and it's timing.....it'll beat everything you've seen!! Thanx Randy

Hey good for you Smokey - that's what we like to hear! Did it need cylinder boring or were new rings enough? And did you stick with the points or go another route?

Factory does it for free - you pay the freight though. Advantage is less maintenance - if you don't have mice chew up your wires! Magnetron is about $50.