Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Aminals + Tractor Story (another added+ question)

MarksA-C

I want to share a few stories about animals that involve my tractors. The first on is based up at my cabin. Up there we have a old, running strong Roper 8. We use it to mow about 2-3 ancers of land ever time we go up there. One time I was mowing and I heard a squeak, I ignored it. Again I heard a squeak and I shut off the engine, parked, and lowered the deck. All I said afterwords was Holy cow. Sitting between the 2 spindles and the tension pully was a abandon kitten. She was scared and luckly not hurt. I ran into the cabin, graped some gloves and a cardboard box. I carefully eased the kitty out of there and placed her in the box. I carried it across the street and along the mile like driveway to farm. I know they have cata and I asked if they would take the kitty. They said yes. They asked for a name, Roper. Ok, the name wasnt Allis or anything, but It just seemed fitting. The next story just happened yesterday. I was moving some stuff around the back yard, like deck parts, snowblowers, etc. I did finally get the the Engine Im selling to skot71. I had it on a ginderblock with cardboard between the engie and brick, on top of my home made dump cart. I Wanted to get it into my garage so it would be safe from a sneaker thats been in our neighbor hood. I pulled the cart itto the garage, got the new resting place ready, and started lifting it. I saw a tail... OH MY GOD!!! WHATS THAT!!! I almost droped the engine. I quickly regrabed the engine, and moved it to its new home. What ever it was it jumped into a nest in the cinder block. I pulled it outside and , well, dumped the brick out. Gotcha!!! The little bugger was ok, just now it was in the hole of the cinder block. I put a licence plate over it. Yes it was a mouse. I lifted up the brick and it darted under my trailer. Then I move the trailer. Then I chase it way to my moms flower beds. It didnt run, it hoped. It looked like a little kangaroo mouse thing. Now I plan on never leaving a engine exposed as a mouse hotel. Have any of you ever had mice in your engine?? Or a cat on your cutting deck??

I have a bunch of cats around my house. We have an understanding, they can stay in my tents and walk allover my tractors, as long as they get the mice and don't leave any presents for me.:D I find paw prints on my hoods all the time:(, but no mice!!!!!:D Elon

WHEW!!! Glad that's out of the way! I've got plenty of mice around my shed where that engine will be stored until I get it installed. Cool stories Mark.

I have never had any problems with the mice here at home but it seems like every tractor I bring home I have to introduce it to the cat first then clean out the nest.. A few years ago I stopped to ask about a old Wheel Horse tractor sitting beside the shed in the weeds..Guy said it was his dads and so he called his dad to see about selling it..Well the price was so good I bought it on the spot and the guy even said it would run..Well he pulled the rope 2 times and the mouse ran out and scared him..he took off on a sprint run with the rope in his hand and broke it,LOL Then he finally got brave enough to help me load it into the back of my Dodge mini van..On the way home the kids was hollering there is a mouse!! LOL what a day that was.. Ended up the mouse the kids seen was just a baby with its eyes still shut and in its nest in the recoil..