Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter Circuit 7010 and other questions

agfine

I have acquired several Simplicity's and am gradually working through the bugs. These seem soo much better than other riders I've had. My Landlord 101 runs the best so far, Oldest is the Sweetest! Rebuilt carb, and cleaning the fuel tank mesh screen did the trick. Trouble is not all the newer attachments seem to fit. Any clues on snowblower fit for this one?? The 7013 Shuttle will not go into reverse(any clues here are welcome), but runs great and finally got the rototiller fitted to it. Put out an awesome garden, but no reverse. Anyone have the shuttle orbital gear assembly laying about they would part with? Big question of the day is about the 7010 with 10hpBriggs. Is running good now, since I rebuilt the carb, changed the fuel, oil, and filters, etc., and fitted an electronic ignition module. Trouble is in the wiring - The starter switch seemed bad and I ordered a new one. The ohm meter tests do not match the book I have, and there is no starter switch action. I was jumping the solenoid from the hot to start it, now this is not working either. All the starter switch wires seem to feed to wrong posts on the back of the switch compared to diagrams in the universal manual I have... Does anyone have a print of the proper wiring diagram for the 7010 Starter switch circuits??? Am starting early, preparing for snowblower season, Pete

Welcome Pete. I don't know which 7010 you have (MFG#), but maybe one of these manuals will help: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_2899_00_SV_S.pdf http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3029_00_AT_S.pdf

Thanks Greg, It might just be that the second link you sent is the majic one. The circuits are different in each of these diagrams you sent. I couldn't find the Mfr # on this, but it might be the 1690204, where I think I'd been guessing the 1690333. I can't wait to get a bit of spare time and head out to see if this diagram matches the tractor! Might need a new switch and new solenoid too, and seems to be missing a fifth wire to the starter switch, only has 4/5 postions populated, so a bit of work to get this one right, but the wiring diagram will halp a lot. Next question, the gear shift is really hard to move forward and back, where do I lube this?? Pete

Just word of caution if by chance you apply battery voltage to the mag kill wire (wire to points) you will fry the mag coil, been there done that and its no fun! Good luck with your new found friends!

Thanks for the tips. Wiring help panned out. The starter switch wiring was different from any listed anywhere, although the diagram Greg suggested helped a lot. Turns out the original starter switch was bad, and the replacement switch I bought was also bad! Drove up to Northeast tractor, and they did indeed have a new starter switch, but also different wiring sequence from any listed anywhere I've seen so far. Irregardless, I finally got it running today with a lot of thought and diagrams and the new switch and new solenoid. Basically, I had to cut each of the wires from the 5 prong plug switch recepticle plug and attached individual wiring connectors for each wire. Then I used the diagram from the 1690204 manual to identify each wire, and hook each up to the proper prong on the switch. Needed the ohm meter to test the circuits to be sure. Here's how to set it for others who may tread this path; Off - Ground and Magneto connect. On - Battery and lights. Start - Battery, Lights and Starter. Almost forgot to mention, after setting all the wires as described, it still didn't start, so I bypassed the seat and PTO safety circuits with a direct feed from the starter switch to the solenoid (not recommended for careless, forgetful or weak of heart), and now it fires up.. A final funny twist, the missing wire from the 5 prong recepticle appears to be ground. The service tech suggested to not put in a ground, since the switch grounds to the frame. Guess what? The thing doesn't turn off when the switch goes to off. Runs so great it won't stop running - kinda funny and ironic eh? I starved it for gas at the carb using the low idle screw to shut it down. Next time I dissasemble the battery and switch, I will hook a ground wire to the switch prong and see if that shuts it down. Meantime, I am stoked that it starts and runs. Mowed a couple rows of really tall weeds next to my garden just for fun before the sun went down...!