Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Bunky

Steering Shaft Bushing?

Bunky
I can't seem to keep the Steering shaft bushing in my B112, it keeps falling out the bottom... I was thinking of making a nulon bushing with a lip on it to keep it in, has anyone done this or have a better idaea??

PatRarick
There should be a snap ring on the shaft to keep the bushing from sliding down. Seems to me it's a "friction fit" snap ring without a groove for it to fit into. The snap ring sometimes loses it's tension or grip on the shaft and it won't stay in place. I've replaced the snap ring, and I ALWAYS place a thin machine washer over the snap right to ride on the bushing. I've also used a locking collar on the shaft to hold the bearing up. A spare collar that holds the front wheels on works well. Twice I've gotten tractors that were run without the bushing for so long that the hole in the dash was worn too large to hold the bushing. I replaced the bushing by enlarging the hole in the dash to accept a two or three hole flangette and 3/4" ball bearing. I painted the flangettes satin black to match the dash and the finished job looks like original equipment. Pat