Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-Series with rope start.....???

AC808

I have a rope start 725 for about 6 mths. I kept it that way until it got flooded one winter while plowing snow. Now it is battery start. Just put lights on it this weekend

I have never seen any large frame rope start tractors..in the Simplicity line-up anyway..But I have seen a couple little Broadmoors that was rope start..I suppose the large frame tractors would be rare as a rope start??

My 61 Wards was set up to rope start from the BGB. This was the factory setup. It is still on the tractor and works regardless of what engine is on it.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
My 61 Wards was set up to rope start from the BGB. This was the factory setup. It is still on the tractor and works regardless of what engine is on it.
I think all of the older (64-66 era) landlords I have had/seen had the rope start pully on the BGB..But they also all had S/G's too..

Wonder boy 700 thru 2010 have a rope cup on the right side of the BGB. I personally have a 725 rope start only and it fires up every time with two pulls. My B1 have electric start but I stole the battery out of it, so for the moment I rope start it. If you don't want any lights, and don't really want to buy another battery, I would leave it rope start. But that is just me. Elon

there is on some of the engines like on my b112 where the starter belt goes round there are slots cut into the sides of that pully for a rope i think its only used for desperate measures tho

There was someone at the Colchester show, two years ago, I think, who took the S/G off the tractor and started it with the rope to make it lighter. Maybe it was a pulling tractor---don't remember.

I had a rope start 707 Broadmoor. Usually started on the first or second pull, as long as it was over 65 degrees out! Obviously not good for snow removal, as I intended it to be used for. Gave it to a buddy of mine who loves it and cuts his grass with it all the time. And, yes, it STILL wont start in cold weather!!:(!;):D

When the starter-switch broke on my 738 Broadmoor, I took off the hood and added the rope-pulley. Rope was easier and faster than jumper cables to the S/G. I used it that way for a year. (Started first pull...) Now I have another engine: 11hp I/C... but I installed the pulley on it for backup. ;^)

quote:
Originally posted by Mat Perucci
there is on some of the engines like on my b112 where the starter belt goes round there are slots cut into the sides of that pully for a rope i think its only used for desperate measures tho
All the booster fan pullies came from Briggs this way as some model engines used the booster fan and no electric starter or a gear starter. This was the manual backup. This being a byproduct from Briggs and due to the difficulty of getting to this pullie simplicity added the starter cup on the tranny side of the BGB. Starting with the 100 series models I think they quit putting on the starter cup as they just weren't being used. I'm not saying they never got used, merely just most elected to jump it off or fix the problem of not cranking instead of pulling much on that rope.:(

I used my B-10 rope starter rather frequently, but more because of battery problems than anything else. I still start my old Landlord that way, but just because it has no battery. I wonder if that rope cup is just the one that would have been on the engine in the first place as it came from briggs?

my 67 b10 has a rope cup on the bgb had the remains of the start rope tied to the steering post when I got it Both my B110's don't have it The early tractor has Hi/Lo which goes on that shaft If you add Hi/Lo to a tractor the directions have you cut an inch of that shaft before you install it The oporators manual I got with both the B10 and the B110 early show the rope cup and give starting instructions using it

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
I wonder if that rope cup is just the one that would have been on the engine in the first place as it came from briggs?
I'm almost certain that it's a Briggs part. I'm not sure if it would have been the "ONE" that came with the engine.
quote:
Originally posted by jkmustang1
The early tractor has Hi/Lo which goes on that shaft If you add Hi/Lo to a tractor the directions have you cut an inch of that shaft before you install it
Isn't the shaft that must be cut the one on the tranny, not the one on the BGB where the starter cup goes? I think the clutch pulley on the BGB is the same for the HI-LOW with the starter cup as it is for the standard tranny.