Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How does one resolve a Broken Axle

fomoco390

First, prevention is it. Jack up the back end of your tractor and determine how much free play you have. Rock or rotate the wheels especially holding one and turn the other. This will determine the amount of wear in your keyways (biggest area is the keys that hold the inside hub of the differential), watch the area where this hub is mounted to the tube axle, if there is any movement >> take it apart and install new keys! The other trick that I know about is after you put together a new tube axle, paint it and scribe a line along its length between the transaxle cover and the diff. hub. When this line gets more than 1/4" twist - replace the tube axle. Tube axles are still available from Sim. at over $100? The axles usually break when they get sloppy. I have not seen the solid axle break. I pull tractors, and have broke the tube axle so bad it took out the right side transaxle cast iron cover but the solid axle is fine. Good Luck, Mike

Hey, I know all to well what your saying!! Last year the first snow we had i had my axle tube break on my 3314H. Everything else was fine, but the tube broke right at the gear. If I recall right the tube only cost about $30.00. I had mine replaced in about 4 hours and was pushing about 10 inches a snow the next day!!

I appreciate the tips on prevention and will surely be checking this tomorrow. I assume that we are talking about the right side tube for the most part in these discussions w/the key. In the unlikely event that I do need to purchase a replacement axle tube, where is a good source? Is there someone in the club who typically has these available and can FedEx ? I like the scenaro where I am pushing snow the next day, but historically I have had a much harder time getting parts, than installing them.

First, my sincere thanks to this club and Kent for the invaluable source of information. I have a 1973ish 3416H sovereign. I have NOT broke an axle, however I have been reading about the potential in several other posts. Given the snow season is close by and with plow, chains and weights now finally installed, I'd like to know the way in which one repairs a broken axle should it occurr. I'd rather have the info upfront, rather than frantically solicit your help during yet another 'storm of the century'. Does one weld the axle, buy a new/used one ( if so , got any good sources ). I appreciate your help, and like the boy scounts motto says, Be Prepared.

The Agco allis dealer about five miles from my house has Simplicity Axle Tubes and Axle shafts in stock. I'm sure they can FedEx them. Reply and i can give you the number.

My axle tube cracked from inside the hydrostatic transmission at the drive gear keyways out the right hand side toward the differential. This allowed transmission to leak on the floor. I also had to replace the left hand axle shaft because the keyway at the differential end (left) of the shaft was bad. I left the transmission case (left hand side) in the tractor and removed the transmission cover (right hand side). The key to putting the transmission cover back on the case with out tearing up the axle tube seal on the differential keyways is to place a plastic bag over the axle tube. I just wish Simplicity would have used splines instead of keyways.