Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs problem-SOLVED

srwven

I have a 16HP briggs (326431 0190 s/g)I put in my 916H a few years ago. At that time I put in a new armature, points, rebuilt carb (including new upper body), etc. The other day it started doing a little popping then would run rough. I tried adjusting the high speed valve to keep it running so I could finish mowing. If I increased throttle more than slowly, it would just cause the governor to go full tilt and if it didn't stall out would just puff out black smoke and run like an 8 cylinder on 4 valves. I tore off the carb, checked the fuel lines, changed filter, pulled out the needles and valves, checked float, valves were not stuck, getting good spark. I reinstalled carb and set it for the initial adjustment. Got it running, but again no matter how I adjusted the high speed needle, I had to slowly increase throttle to avoid the governor going full tilt and killing the engine. Finally got it running well on low and high speed, so I thought. I try to start it this morning and when cold this thing just runs like crap if I try anything but low idle-governor going full tilt, popping (not backfiring) and just running VERY rough. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem with a briggs, turned out the governor spring was in the wrong hole on the governor arm. Upon closer inspection, a thin wire had been threaded through the spring to limit it's expansion. I bought this machine from a guy who got in too deep and I got it in more pieces than you can imagine. I would double-check the governor. Hope this helps some.

It could very well be a crack in the bowl of the carb. I have had a lot of problem with the Briggs carbs doing this and then running very rich and puffing black smoke. Good Luck, Wayne

Good suggestions, thanks. Pat, I failed to mention, this is the third plug I am on. I also cleaned and regapped the points. I checked the spark from the plug and it appears good.

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
I say change the condenser. Just an educated quess.
That's my next step. Changed plugs last night-nothing. I even swapped carbs from my other tractor with similar results so I am thinking it has to be ignition somewhere.

Have you tried adjusting the governor? To do this, first move the governor linkage till the carb is at full throttle to see which way the governor shaft turns. Then take the clamp on the governor rod loose. Push the throttle on the carb to the full-throttle position. While holding the carb at full-throttle, rotate the governor rod as far as it will turn in the full throttle direction. Tighten the clamp while holding the governor rod and carb in this full throttle position. This is one governor adjustment that many people overlook. It is critical to correct operation. An easy adjustment but as I say, most times overlooked. It usually is not necessary, but I have owned two engines that were acting really weird, and both times this governor adjustment ended up being the problem.

Problem solved :D Out of desperation I pulled the points off. They looked clean (I did run a fine piece of sandpaper between followed by paper early on) but I filed down a little to make sure. Reinstalled and regapped, voila. Tractor running the way it should. No fireworks display necessary!