Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mid PTO adjustment

Scott Salmons

Any good tips on setting the center PTO? I always for some reason have a hard time adjusting these to engage smoothly and then when disengaged to stay that way!! I am trying to set the pto on a B-112 is the belt length the same on this pto as the older B's, when I install the belt I can't get enough movement with the idler to tighten the belt. It hits the little tab behind the idler, is this tab suppose to act as a stop? Thanks All

Hello Scott, First of all, I am almost positive that the pto belt lengths are slightly different. My B10 and my B110 are different. The mid pto used to drive me crazy. I'd buy new belts that I thought were as close to the original length as possible, but they weren't the originals. As soon as I bought OEM belts, my problems were solved. For example I couldn't believe that 0.4" in belt length from a hardware store compared to OEM made that much difference, but each time you use a belt that is wrong it compounds the problem with the mower belt. Not to mention if you have any measurable wear on linkage pivot points or wear on the tension spring. That is my experience, buy OEM belts for the B series. Don't forget to have all belt guides installed and adjusted. I wasted a brand new pto belt on my B110 because its half-circle belt guide was missing and I didn't notice. It jumped off and got wedged and burned up quickly. Live and learn the hard way :( I've found OEM belts are not a must with the cone-clutch pto however.