Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oh no! Another 'It's orange, but not simplicity..'

Simplicity314

Made a trip to the dump, and this little guy was waiting for me in front of the metal bin.

It's an Ariens 'Jet' with a (groan) Tecumseh 3hp engine. Pulled the rip cord 4 or 5 times, and nothing. Backed out the bowl screw, and got amber sludge, one drop at a time, so I know at least a carb rebuild is in order. Will test for spark friday if I can squeeze in an hour.

You are right about those Tecumsehs. I thought for sure when I pulled the cord the engine would be stuck because of something broken internally. The way those things chatter and burp when they are running right I wonder sometimes how they stay together for so long. I have a 5 hp Briggs in the shed I could probably get running and line up, but don't think I'll waste it on something I'll probably never use. Then again..better than it sitting on a shelf. We'll see.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
The Dump is a good place for a Tecumseh....:D
Briggs ought to take a lesson from Tecumseh on non leaking carbs. }:)}:)

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
8D The reason Tecumseh Carbs dont leak is because the fuel wont go through them to begin with...8)

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
I've got a tecumseh sno-king(??) in a Simplicity 521 walk behind snow blower and I've always had problems with fuel leaking out of the screw & gasket that attaches the float bowl to the bottom of the carb.

Don't know about Tecumseh carb leaks, though I learned while searching for carb kit parts/numbers and breakouts, that there is a single tiny hole on the main jet that carb soakers don't always penetrate. The suggestion is using a single bristle off a wire brush to clear it. (Doesn't affect leaking, but just info in case one follows you home like this tiller did). I have a small crapsman push mower w/ a Tecum. engine I bought at the spring Colchester show, just to do areas I can't get to with the tractors. No adjustments, not even a throttle or choke on the carb, and there's a primer bulb w/ a tag telling you to hit it 5X. It usually starts with one pull after about 10 pumps on the primer bulb! I've shut the thing right down after starting after I got it because the crankcase sounded empty! It was full, and it does do it's job though. And for $20 I'm happy I got the summer out of it. We'll see how long she goes.

My Father in-law had one of those tillers before he bought his Troy-built tiller. We called it the "bone crusher" because after running it for a bit your back felt like you took a hard hit from an NFL Linebacker! Best of luck...

:D Just want to get it running---might be a good winter project since it will fit through my basement door. Anyway, I have a tiller for my LL when I need one, so I don't need the Ariens to use. If the wheels were driven, then I might consider actually using it